- Score: Pace 71, Assumption 68
- Record: Pace (11-7, 5-5 NE10), Assumption (5-12, 1-9 NE10)
- Location: Pleasantville, N.Y. (Goldstein Fitness Center)
- The Lead: Assumption had three chances to tie the game in the final 15 seconds, but all three attempts from beyond the arc were off the mark as the Hounds fell 71-68 at Pace on Saturday in conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption went back-and-forth through the opening four minutes, with a jumper from Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) drawing even 9-9 at 15:42. A 6-2 run by Pace pushed its lead to 15-11. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) connected on a triple to pull the Hounds within one, 15-14, and that started a 7-2 run to grab an 18-17 lead with 11:51 left on a Kelly layup.
- The Setters scored ten consecutive points to pull in front, 27-18, midway through the period. Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) ended the run with a layup, but Assumption was unable to get any closer until Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) made a layup with 4:52 left for a 33-26 deficit. Ten straight points by Pace pushed its lead to 17 points in the final two minutes and the team went into the half with a 43-28 advantage.
- The teams traded baskets over the first three minutes of second, until a Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Canterbury) triple cut the deficit to 47-36 at 16:43. Trailing 53-39, Assumption went on a 14-3 run, capped off by a Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) three with 9:49 left to pull within three, 56-53. Kelly then trimmed it to just one point on the team's next possession.
- Pace ended the run and went on one of its own to grab a 63-57 advantage with 5:30 remaining in regulation. Five straight points from Kelly cut it to 63-62, before an 8-3 surge pushed the Setters to a 71-65 lead with 2:05 left. Kelly connected on a triple with 1:05 left to trail by three, but Assumption missed three shots from beyond the arc in the final 15 seconds as Pace escaped with the 71-68 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 48.3 percent in the contest and made 9 of 25 three-point field goals while going 3-for-7 from the charity stripe. Pace made 48.2 percent of its attempts and was 4 of 15 from downtown while going 13-for-17 from the free throw line. The Setters also held a 36-28 rebounding advantage while turning it over three fewer times (13-10).
- Kelly led Assumption with 16 points, five rebounds and three assists while Speight added 13 points and three boards. Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) was also in double figures with 10 points and three assists. Connelly chipped in nine points, four assists and three blocks.
- Tyrone Cohen Jr. had 17 points and six rebounds while Brandon Jacobs followed up with 12 points, six assists and two steals.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the Hounds travel to play AIC at 7:30 p.m.