- Score: Assumption 73, American International 62
- Record: Assumption (6-12, 2-9 NE10), American International (8-11, 4-7 NE10)
- Location: Springfield, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption led by four points at the half, and never trailed in the second half while building its lead as high as 14 points on the way to a solid 73-62 victory over American International on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption led 4-3 in the opening three minutes before going on a 10-0 run over the next three minutes to grab a 14-3 advantage. AIC ended the run at 13:52 but a Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) basket and then a Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) triple at 12:17 extended it to 19-5.
- The teams traded points over the next four minutes, including a Hound layup at the 7:17 mark to provide a 23-11 advantage for Assumption. It was back-and-forth over the next four minutes and Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) connected on a mid-range jumper with 3:21 left for a 31-20 lead. However, AIC scored the final seven points of the half to come back and trail just 31-27 at the break.
- The Yellow Jackets scored the first two points of the second, but Assumption responded with ten straight to extend its lead to 41-29 at 17:21 on another three by Kelly. The Hounds were able to stretch their lead to 14 points, 51-37, on a three-point play by Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Canterbury) with 13:52 remaining. AIC answered with a 14-4 run to close the gap to just four points with 8:16 left, forcing an Assumption timeout.
- Kelly drilled a three from the corner on the next possession to push the lead back to seven points, though a Yellow Jacket three-point play with 7:00 minutes remaining kept it a four-point game. Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) scored four of the team's next six points to extend the lead to ten points with 4:14 left. Assumption didn't let its lead drop below ten the rest of the way as the Hounds came away with the 11-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 56.0 percent in the contest, including 8 of 16 from beyond the arc, while limiting AIC to 37.5 percent shooting and only 5-for-22 from downtown. The Hounds also made all nine of their free throws while the Yellow Jackets went 15-for-20 from the charity stripe. Assumption held a 32-26 rebounding edge.
- Kelly paced the offense with 16 points, four rebounds and one steal, while Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding / Tilton) added 16 points and five boards while making 6 of 9 field goal attempts. Chris Crespo (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) tied a career high with 11 points while Brown came off the bench to provide ten points and eight rebounds. Rance chipped in eight points, seven rebounds and three assists.
- Xion Golding led AIC with 19 points, three rebounds and three assists while Trevaun Hyatt added 12 points and five steals off the bench.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the Hounds host Saint Rose at 3:30 p.m.