Score: Assumption 3, Stonehill 0
Records: Assumption (12-8-2, 8-5-1 NE10), Stonehill (5-14-2, 3-7-1 NE10)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
Lead: Senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./ Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)) tallied two goals while sophomore goaltender David Zulauf (Rochester, MI./ Bridgton Academy (Prep)) made 33 saves to lead the Assumption College ice hockey to their fifth straight NE10 Conference win as they shut out Stonehill 3-0 on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Just 1:21 into the game senior Cam Laughlin (Natick, Mass./ Portland Jr. Pirates (USPHL)) broke up a pass in front of Skyhawk goaltender Billy Palmer and wristed a shot over his shoulder to take the 1-0 lead.
- With 3:08 left in the period the Hounds took advantage of a powerplay to extend their lead to 2-0. Junior Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) and Tommy Mahoney (Braintree, Mass. / Boston Bandits (EHL)) set up senior Brian Farrell (Island Park, N.Y. / South Kent School (USPHL U18)) on the right circle for him to score on the far left side.
- Neither team scored in the second and early in the third, the Assumption defense held strong facing a 5-on-3 for 1:47 to maintain the shutou. Laughlin provided some cushion on his second goal of the night with 8:21 left in the third period on a wrist shot from the right circle off great passing from Tomassini and Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)). Zulauf did the rest to preserve the shutout.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption held Stonehill scoreless on the power play while the Hounds capitalized twice on the man advantage. Laughlin and Tomassini each tallied two points in the game. The last time the Hounds won five straight games was in 2015.
- Zulauf made 33 saves in the shutout while Palmer stopped 46 shots.
- Tomorrow the Hounds will travel to Stonehill to face the Skyhawks at 5:10 pm, looking to conclude conference play with another victory.