- Score: Assumption 8, Becker 1
- Records: Assumption (2-0-0), Becker (0-2-0),
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Worcester Ice Center)
- The lead: Assumption led 1-0 after the first period, before exploding for seven goals over the final two periods to come away with an impressive 8-1 victory over Becker on Sunday evening to begin the season 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 7:15 of the first period. Brendan Philippon (Salem, N.H. / Philadelphia Flyers (USPHL Premier)) scored his first goal of the season, with assists from freshmen Dante Maribito (Georgetown, Mass. / Phillips Academy (Prep)) and Christopher Stalmok (Paxton, Mass. / Boston Jr. Bruins (USPHL Premier)). The Hounds finished with a 13-6 shot advantage in the period.
- Midway through the second, on the penalty kill, Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y. / Northwood (Prep)) stole the puck and skated in before firing a shot for the 2-1 lead at 11:11. Assumption pushed its lead to 3-1 just over two minutes later as Robert Holyoke (Middleboro, Mass. / South Shore Kings (USPHL Premier)) scored off assists from Ben Barton (Kenai, Alaska / Cushing Academy (Prep)) and Damelio.
- At 16:59, Assumption stretched its lead to 4-1 on another short-handed goal. Devan Sheth (Ashland, Mass. / Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL Premier)) fought off a defender on his back and muscled his way to the goal mouth before putting it in the back of the net for the three-goal lead.
- The Hounds blew the game wide open in the third, scoring three times in a 1:09 span all on the power play. Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn. / Connecticut Jr. Wolfpack (EHL)) started it off with a shot from the point, followed by Stalmok at 6:18 and then Tomassini again at 6:51. Damelio finished off the impressive period, scoring with just 27 seconds remaining in the contest.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Becker 49-26, including a 22-3 edge in the third period. The Hounds also went 4-for-14 on the power play while limiting Becker to 0-for-4.
- Damelio led the team with three points on two goals and one assist, while Tomassini added a pair of goals. Stalmok and Robert Holyoke (Middleboro, Mass. / South Shore Kings (USPHL Premier)) each tallied one goal and one assist.
- Robbie Campbell (Raritan, N.J. / New England Stars (NA3HL)) earned his first victory of the season with 25 saves while Grant Martens took the loss with seven goals allowed in 46:51 with 31 saves.
-The Hounds are back in action on Thursday when they host UMass-Dartmouth at 6:35 p.m. in Buffone Arena.