- Score: No. 4 Adelphi 15, Assumption 8
- Records: Adelphi (1-0, 1-0 NE10), Assumption (0-1, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Garden City, N.Y. (Motamed Field)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed just 6-4 early in the third quarter, but No. 4 Adelphi scored seven of the next eight goals to stretch its lead to 13-5 and eventually came away with a 15-8 victory in the season-opener for both teams on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers opened up the scoring two minutes into the contest for a 1-0 lead. Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) answered less than two minutes later off a feed from Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood). Adelphi scored at 10:11 and then with four minutes left for a 3-1 advantage. Sophomore Anthony D'Angelo (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) trimmed the deficit to 3-2 with 1:10 remaining and Assumption finished the first down one.
- Two goals from the Panthers in the opening seven minutes of the second pushed their lead to 5-2. Mike Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood) ended the run with a score off an assist from Reid to cut it back to two. Adelphi scored in the final three minutes for a 6-3 lead at the half.
- Junior Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Mass. / East Catholic) scored just 50 seconds in the third to make it a 6-4 contest, however, back-to-back goals by Adelphi pushed the lead to 8-4. Farrell trimmed it to 8-5 at 8:34, though four straight goals from the Panthers to end the period gave them a 12-5 advantage through three.
- In the fourth each team scored three times, with Reid and Wilcox recording unassisted goals and junior Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) ripping home a goal off a pass by Farrell with eight seconds left in regulation.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Adelphi won 22 of 25 face-offs and held a 27-13 edge in ground balls. The Panthers only outshot Assumption 46-40, but had more on net as well (30-21). The Hounds did have more caused turnovers (7-4).
- Reid led the offense with five points on two goals and three assists, while Wilcox scored twice and Farrell had three points (1g, 2a). Joe Del Rossi (North Massapequa, N.Y. / Plainedge) came through with three caused turnovers while Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) had two ground balls and two caused turnovers. Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) was solid in net as he made 15 saves while allowing 15 goals in 60 minute of action.
- Brendan McDougal earned the win in net as he had nine saves with six goals allowed in 54:36. Ian Kirby led the Adelphi offense with seven points (4g, 3a), while Nicolas Racalbuto scored five goals.
- The Hounds return to action next Saturday when they face off against Felician at 2 p.m. on the campus of Post University.