- Score: Assumption 34, Felician 3
- Records: Assumption (1-1), Felician (0-2)
- Location: Waterbury, Conn.
- The Lead: Senior Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) set a new NCAA Division II record with 22 points and goals in a single contest with 13 as the Assumption offense was firing on all cylinders in its 34-3 blowout of Felician on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) opened up the scoring off a feed from Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) at 12:28. Reid scored one minute later and Felician got on the board at 9:41 to trail 2-1. Farrell and Reid scored back-to-back, and three more goals from the Hounds in the last five minutes of the period, along with one from the Falcons provided a 7-2 difference after the first.
- The second was all Assumption as Reid and Farrell combined for six goals over the first eight minutes of the period, extending the lead to 13-2. Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Mass. / East Catholic) made 14-2, before Felician scored at 3:47. Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown) and Reid each scored twice while Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) added one more before the end of the period for a 19-3 lead at the half.
- Wilcox and Tommy Galvin (Canton, Mass. / Canton) led off the scoring in the third, with Reid and Farrell each tallying a goal for a 23-3 lead at the ten-minute mark. Reid added five more goals in the third while Mike Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood), Galvin and Peterson each had one for a 31-3 lead through three periods. In the fourth, Zach DeBay (Pelham, N.H. / Central Catholic) scored three times to provide the 34-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption scored an NCAA Division II record 34 goals with 22 assists on 74 shots. The 34 goals broke the previous record of 33 which had been previously been set by Pace (1994), Wheeling Jesuit (2016) and Colorado Mesa (2018).
- Reid's 22 points on 13 goals and nine assists is a new NCAA All-Division record for points, breaking the previous record of 21 set by Plymouth State's Scott Walden in 1994. The previous DII record for points was 18, set by Mark Gjekaj of Pace in 1994. Reid's goal mark was a new DII record and matched the All-Division record of 13, set by Ed Ryder of Oneonta in 1987 and Tim Chapman of Gordon in 2001.
- Reid's 22 points on the day give him 170 for his career, breaking the previous school record of 152 points by Justin Cecil '95. Reid also became just the second Assumption player to surpass 100 career goals. Farrell's seven goals in the contest is tied for the third-highest total in a single game.
- The defense gave up three goals to Felician. It marked the third time since the start of the 2018 season the team has allowed three or fewer goals. Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) earned the victory in net as he made two saves in 18:02. Chris Schultz (Bayville, N.Y. / Locust Valley) was one of four reserves who replaced Hamwey and he finished with a team-high three saves in 7:08.
- Senior Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won 24 face-offs and picked up 14 ground balls, as the team totaled 40 ground balls in the contest. The team also had 15 caused turnovers while allowing 25 Felician shots in the contest.
- Assumption returns to action on Sunday, Mar. 3 when the Hounds face off against No. 12 Tampa at 1 p.m.