- Score: Assumption 11, No. 9 Tampa 10
- Records: Assumption (1-1), Tampa (2-3)
- Location: Tampa, Fla. (Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex)
- The Lead: Assumption scored four times in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter to fight back from an 8-5 deficit and the defense allowed just two goals in the final period as the Hounds finished off the comeback with an 11-10 victory over No. 9 Tampa on the road Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead at 10:41, but the Spartans tied it up just over two minutes later. Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) provided the Hounds with a 2-1 lead at 6:01 on a man-down goal and Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) made it 3-1 with 3:57 left. Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Mass. / East Catholic) concluded the scoring with 59 seconds remaining for a 4-1 advantage.
- Tampa cut the deficit to 4-2 two minutes into the second and then made it a one-goal game at 11:20. The Spartans continued their run and two more goals pushed their lead to 5-4 with 4:39 left in the period. Wilcox ended the scoring run with one of his own to tie the score with 2:39 remaining. Tampa added a goal with 58 seconds left for a 6-5 lead going into the half.
- The Spartans scored the only two goals of the third to grab an 8-5 lead. In the fourth, Reid came through with a goal early and Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) trimmed it to just 8-7 at 13:51. Wilcox then used a great individual effort to even the score at eight apiece with 12:30 left.
- Reid gave Assumption its first lead of the second half with 10:26 remaining right at the goal mouth off a great feed from Peterson. Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown) ripped a shot from the outside at 8:58 to stretch the lead to 10-8. Tampa finally ended the 5-0 run and pulled within one with 8:30 left, before tying it up at 6:47. With just 2:36 remaining, Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) found Reid for the go-ahead goal and the defense held strong over the final two minutes to secure the one-goal victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Tampa outshot the Hounds 57-40 in the contest and won 18 of 23 face-offs. However, Assumption forced the Spartans into 11 turnovers while picking up 21 ground balls.
- Reid scored three times in the fourth, finishing the game with four goals and three assists on six shots. Wilcox added a hat trick while Peterson had one goal and one assist. Senior Adam Burnes (Braintree, Mass. / Archbishop Williams) came through with two ground balls and two caused turnovers on defense.
- Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) was dominant in net as he tied his career high with 19 saves, including 11 in the second half to secure the victory. The win was the 17 of Hamwey's career, setting the new all-time program record for wins by a goalie. B.J. Borowski took the loss in net as he allowed four goals in 16:36 with two saves.
- Assumption's victory over Tampa was its first over the Spartans in program history. It also marked the first win over a top-10 team for the Hounds in program history.
- Assumption returns to action on Thursday, March 7 when the Hounds face off against No. 16 Saint Leo at 7 p.m.