- Score: No. 17 Saint Leo 12, No. 20 Assumption 11
- Records: Saint Leo (4-2), Assumption (2-2)
- Location: Saint Leo, Fla. (University Turf)
- The Lead: No. 20 Assumption fought back from a four-goal deficit in the fourth quarter to tie the game, but 17th ranked Saint Leo took a 12-11 lead in the final four minutes and the Hounds were unable to net the equalizer as they fell on Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 12:40, as Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) found Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) for the goal. Saint Leo evened the score up with just 1:58 left in the period but senior Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) gave the Hounds back the lead just 40 seconds later and they led 2-1 after the first.
- The Lions tied the score with 12:42 left and then pulled in front 3-2 two minutes later. Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) brought Assumption back even with 9:33 remaining on a pass by Farrell. Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) gave the Hounds the lead just over a minute later off a feed from Trevor Kennedy (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. / Comsewogue). Saint Leo scored twice in the final six minutes, sandwiched by a Becker goal for a 5-5 score at the half.
- Reid gave the Hounds a 6-5 lead only 41 seconds into the third, however, the Lions answered with four straight goals over the next eight minutes to stretch their lead to 9-6. Jennings finally ended the scoring drought following a pass from Farrell with 4:20 left. St. Leo scored one minute later and led 10-7 after three periods.
- The Lions extended their lead to 11-7 just 11 seconds into the fourth. Jennings brought the Hounds back within three at 11:28 and Reid scored one minute later on a great individual effort to cut it to 11-9. Farrell made it a one-goal contest with 6:07 left and Peterson III scored in front on a feed from Reid to tie the score 11-11 with 4:59 left. St. Leo took back the lead with 3:36 remaining and Assumption put two shots on net in the final 15 seconds but was unable to net the equalizer.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Saint Leo held a 48-42 edge in shots and won 14 of 26 face-offs while picking up 15 more ground balls. Assumption did hold the Lions to 2-for-9 on man-up situations while going 0-for-3. Both teams had six caused turnovers.
- Reid scored three times and added one assist with three ground balls while Jennings also added a hat trick. Farrell posted four points on one goal and three assists while Peterson III totaled three. On defense, Aidan Tefft (Franklin, Mass. / Xaverian Brothers) led the team with three caused turnovers while Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) had five ground balls.
- Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) was good in net but took the loss as he stopped 15 shots while allowing 12 goals. Thomas Tatarian earned the win with 13 saves and 11 goals allowed.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday, March 13 when the square off against Post at 3 p.m. on the road.