- Score: No. 19 Assumption 16, Saint Michael's 11
- Records: Assumption (4-2, 1-1 NE10), Saint Michael's (2-1, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Colchester, Vt. (Duffy Field)
- The Lead: No. 19 Assumption never trailed and went on a 5-1 scoring run during a 15-minute stretch between the third and fourth quarters to put the game away for good and secure a 16-11 victory over Saint Michael's on Saturday afternoon in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Conn. / Wilbraham & Monson) opened the scoring for Assumption two minutes into the contest before Saint Michael's answered just 29 seconds later to even it up. The Hounds scored three straight on goals by Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Conn. / East Catholic), Marocchini and Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) for a 4-1 advantage with 4:53 left. The Purple Knights tallied one more goal to trail 4-2 after the first.
- Marocchini extended the lead to 5-2, though Saint Michael's scored at 7:32 to make it a 5-3 contest. Assumption scored twice over the next four minutes and Marocchini added a goal with just 46 seconds left for an 8-3 lead. The Purple Knights answered by scoring with 29 seconds remaining for an 8-4 halftime margin.
- Reid pushed the lead to 9-4 before three straight goals from Saint Michael's trimmed the lead to just 9-7 midway through the third. Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) ended the run and each team scored one more goal in the period for an 11-8 Hound lead through three.
- Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) scored at 12:18 of the fourth, followed by a Colin Buck (Bow, N.H. / Bow) goal and second Farrell tally for a 14-8 lead with 6:48 left in regulation. Saint Michael's outscored Assumption 3-2 over the final 6:30 as the Hounds came away with the five-goal victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Saint Michael's held a 43-37 shot advantage in the contest, though both teams had 25 shots on goal. The Purple Knights won 17 of 28 face-offs and picked up eight more ground balls (38-30) while both teams had ten caused turnovers in the contest.
- Marocchini posted a career-high eight points, scoring six goals on eight shots with two assists and two ground balls. Reid added four goals and three assists while Farrell posted four points (2g, 2a). Jennings chipped in two goals and one assist while Aidan Tefft (Franklin, Mass. / Xaverian Brothers) led the defense with three ground balls and two caused turnovers. Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) picked up a team-high five ground balls.
-Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) earned the win in net as he allowed ten goals with 13 saves in 57:01. Dominic Joy took the loss as he allowed 15 goals with just seven saves over 54:47.
- Reid's three assists on the day gave him 72 for his career, tying the program record which was set by Kevin Klaskin from 2007-10. Reid already ranks first all-time in points with 192 and is second all-time in goals with 120.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team hosts AIC in its home-opener at 1 p.m.