- Score: No. 17 Assumption 16, Southern N.H. 7
- Records: Assumption (6-3, 3-2 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (2-6, 1-4 NE10)
- Location: Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
- The Lead: 17th ranked men's lacrosse jumped out to a 4-1 lead after the first quarter and never trailed on the way to an impressive 16-7 victory over Southern New Hampshire Saturday afternoon on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) led off the scoring at 10:58 and Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) added to the lead just 12 seconds later. Southern N.H. cut the deficit in half with 8:56 left in the period, but Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) and Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Conn. / Wilbraham & Monson) each tallied goals in the final five minutes for a 4-1 lead.
- The Penmen outscored Assumption over the first six minutes of the second to pull within two, 5-3. Becker made it a 6-3 contest at 9:25 on a feed from Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) and Peterson III followed two minutes later for a 7-3 lead. SNHU ended the run but the Hounds outscored the Penmen 2-1 over the last two minutes for a 9-5 lead at the half.
- SNHU scored the first two goals of third, trimming it to just 9-7 with four minutes left. However, Peterson III answered with the final two goals of the period to push the lead back to four entering the fourth. Assumption didn't allow a goal in the fourth and scored twice over the first five minutes to stretch it to a 13-7 advantage. Three more goals in the final seven minutes provided a 16-7 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Southern New Hampshire 45-35 in the contest, though picked up fewer ground balls (33-21) and won just 5 of 27 face-offs. The Hounds did commit fewer turnovers (17-12).
- Peterson III scored a career-high seven goals on just nine shots to lead the offense while Becker tallied his first career hat trick. Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Conn. / East Catholic) added one goal, three assists and four ground balls. Reid had one goal and one assists to push his career total to 201 points. He is the first men's lacrosse player to reach that milestone.
- Defensively, Joe Del Rossi (North Massapequa, N.Y. / Plainedge) was solid with two caused turnovers. Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) earned the victory as he stopped 17 shots and gave up just seven goals in 57:39. Alex Sturgess took the loss as he allowed nine goals with seven saves in the opening half.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the Hounds host Franklin Pierce at 1 p.m.