- Score: No. 19 Assumption 13, Franklin Pierce 7
- Records: Assumption (7-3, 2-2 NE10), Franklin Pierce (4-4, 2-4 NE10
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium
- The Lead: No. 19 Assumption scored the first four goals of the game and never let Franklin Pierce get any closer than two goals the rest of the contest on the way to a 13-7 victory on Saturday afternoon at home.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Conn. / Wilbraham & Monson) gave the Hounds a 1-0 lead just 1:45 into the game. Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) and Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) followed with unassisted goals for a 3-0 lead at 8:53. Reid made it 4-0 with 3:53 left, but Franklin Pierce outscored Assumption 3-1 over the final 3:13 to trail just 5-3 after the first.
- Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) scored to start the second, but the Ravens answered with 12:03 left for a 6-4 margin. Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) extended the lead back to three while Jennings and Mike Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood) each added goals in the final five minutes for a 9-4 lead.
- Franklin Pierce tallied the first two goals of the third, but Peterson III notched his second with only 14 seconds left in the period for a 10-6 lead. The Ravens made it 10-7 at 13:53 of the fourth, however, the Assumption defense locked down and didn't allow another goal. Sophomore Anthony D'Angelo (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) scored and Jason Hughes (Watertown, Mass. / Watertown) added a pair of goals in the last ten minutes for the 13-7 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption outshot Franklin Pierce 55-38 in the contest and picked up more ground balls (36-29). The Hounds also went 2-for-6 on the man-up, while holding the Ravens to 0-for-3.
- Seven different players scored with five netting a pair of goals. Hughes and Jennings each had two goals and one assist while Farrell chipped in one goal and a team-high two assists. Reid scored twice with four ground balls.
- Defensively, Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) had five ground balls and one caused turnover while Aidan Tefft (Franklin, Mass. / Xaverian Brothers) had two caused turnovers and two ground balls. Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) was outstanding in net, making 16 saves while allowing just seven goals to earn the victory. He also had three ground balls while registering his third straight game with at least 16 saves.
- Assumption finished with eight assists on the day to give the team 104 for the season, setting a new team record. The team's 160 goals are just three shy of the single season program record of 163 set back in 1991.
- Justin Lorenzo took the loss as he made 12 saves while giving up 13 goals. Jake Castorf led Franklin Pierce with two goals and one assist.
- Assumption returns to action on Wednesday when the team hosts Bentley at 7 p.m. in a crucial conference matchup.