- Score: Bentley 11, No. 17 Assumption 8
- Records: Bentley (7-2, 5-2 NE10), Assumption (7-4, 4-3 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption scored the first three goals of the contest but Bentley responded with the next six and never let the Hounds draw even again as the Falcons earned a crucial 11-8 conference victory on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead at 11:02 and added a goal with 8:56 left for a 2-0 lead. Owen Peterson III (Westchester, N.Y. / Westlake) pushed the lead to 3-0 just 40 seconds later. Bentley got on the board at 7:05 and added two more goals in the final three minutes to even it up 3-3.
- In the second the Falcons took the lead with 11:05 left and then added a pair of goals over the next ten minutes to grab a 6-3 advantage. Peterson III ended the Bentley run with a goal off a Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) feed with 16 seconds left to go into the break down 6-4.
- Two more goals from the Falcons pushed their lead to 8-4 with six minutes remaining in the third. Peterson III scored at 4:14 off a Reid dish and Anthony D'Angelo (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton) cut it to 8-6 with 2:06 left in the period.
- Bentley extended its lead to 9-6 at 13:07, however, Peterson III answered back less than a minute later. Adam Becker (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) followed with an unassisted goal at 8:30 to cut the deficit to 9-8. Assumption won the ensuing face-off but turned it over and the Falcons were able to score on their next possession for a 10-8 lead. They added another goal with 6:05 left and held Assumption off the board to come away with the 11-8 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bentley outshot Assumption 45-38 in the contest and won 13 of 22 face-offs. The Hounds did pick up four more ground balls (31-27) while the Falcons had one more caused turnover (8-7).
- Peterson III led Assumption with four goals, one assist and three ground balls while Jennings had two goals and one assist. Reid chipped in three assists, three ground balls and two caused turnovers. Defensively, Tim Tierney (Framingham, Mass. / Framingham) had one ground ball and three caused turnovers.
- Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) made 17 saves while allowing 11 goals in the loss. He picked up three ground balls in recording his fourth straight game with at least 16 saves. Michael Haggan earned the win for Bentley as he stopped 14 shots and gave up just eight goals.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team travels to face Saint Rose at 6 p.m.