- Score: No. 11 Pace 17, Assumption 11
- Records: Pace (12-3, 8-3 NE10), Assumption (8-5, 5-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption and 11th ranked Pace were tied 10-10 through three quarters, but the Setters scored three times in one minute early in the fourth as part of a 5-0 run to put the game away and earn a 17-11 victory on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Brett Jennings (Montgomery, N.Y. / Valley Central) gave Assumption a 1-0 lead 2:23 into the first quarter. Pace answered less than two minutes later and took a 2-1 lead at 9:29. Michael Leonard (Westwood, Mass. / Westwood) evened it back up, though the Setters scored with 6:31 for a 3-2 lead.
- Jennings opened the second with a goal and Spencer Marocchini (Somers, Conn. / Wilbraham & Monson) scored at 11:44 to give the Hounds a 4-3 advantage. Trevor Wilcox (Somers, Conn. / East Catholic) extended the lead to 5-3 with 10:56 left. Pace cut it back to one, before Marocchini made it 6-5 with 7:43 left in the period. The Setters answered with two straight goals, however, Marocchini tallied one more for a 7-6 lead at the half.
- It was Jennings at 12:38 of the third who pushed the Assumption lead to 8-6. Pace got back into the game with three straight goals over the next seven minutes, however, Dan Farrell (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) tied it up 9-9 with 3:59 left. The Setters took a 10-9 lead just 23 seconds. In the waning seconds of the third, Leonard found Farrell for a nice underhanded shot with one second left to tie it.
- Pace scored consecutive man-up goals just 20 seconds apart in the fourth and then made it a 13-10 contest at 11:05. Two more Setter goals extended the lead to 15-10, before Wilcox ended the run. Pace tallied a pair of goals in the final 4:05 for the 17-11 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Pace outshot Assumption 51-39 in the contest, highlighted by a 29-12 edge in the second half. They also won 17 of 29 face-offs and picked up one more ground ball (28-27).
- Jennings tallied a hat trick to give him an even 100 points for his career and become the eighth player in program history to reach that milestone. Marocchini also added three goals while Farrell had two goals and two assists. Travis Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) dished off a pair of assists to push his school-record career total to 84. He finished as the program's all-time leading scorer with 214 points while Farrell is behind him in second with 176 career points. Connor Reid (Raynham, Mass. / Bridgewater Raynham) won 12 face-offs and picked up four ground balls.
- Senior Colby Hamwey (West Yarmouth, Mass. / Wilbraham & Monson) allowed 14 goals and made 13 saves to take the loss. Classmate John DeMott (Syracuse, N.Y. / Corcoran) saw six minutes of action and made three saves with three goals allowed. Louis Ragusa made nine saves and gave up 11 goals but earned the win in net.
- Assumption's eight wins this year are the second most in program history, trailing the team's nine victories in 2015 and 2011. The team scored 208 goals off 133 assists, shattering the previous program records of 163 goals and 98 assists.