- Score: Assumption 1, Bentley 0
- Record: Assumption (3-2, 1-0 NE10), Bentley (0-4, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Bentley Field)
- The Lead: Sophomore Simon Trcka (Prague, Czech Republic / Thornton Academy) scored the only goal of the game in the 20th minute and the Assumption defense did the rest, posting its second consecutive shutout, for a 1-0 victory over Bentley to open conference play on Tuesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds put early pressure on the Falcons with three corner kicks in the opening 13 minutes. They finally broke through in the 20th minute as Jason Lages (Edgartown, Mass. / Martha's Vineyard Regional) took possession of the ball in the midfield and slipped a through ball to Trcka who finished it past the keeper.
- Bentley tried to counter in the second half but the defense held firm. The Falcons' best chances came in the final six minutes as they had a shot ricochet off the post and then forced Murray to make a diving play on a ball near the goal mouth.
- Assumption nearly added an insurance goal in the final 30 seconds but Bentley goalie David Price made back-to-back diving saves on Max Bilsborough (Camas, Wash. / Camas) and Xavier Carmona (Worcester, Mass. / Doherty Memorial / Westfield State).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bentley outshot the Hounds 13-7 in the contest and had more corner kicks (7-3). The Falcons did commit twice as many fouls (10-5).
- Brian Murray (Camas, Wash. / Camas) earned his second consecutive shutout by making three saves and a number of other strong plays, while Price was saddled with the loss after stopping three shots.
- Assumption looks to improve to 2-0 in the NE10 when the team travels to play Franklin Pierce on Saturday at 7:30 pm.