- Score: No. 24 Mercy 2, Assumption 0
- Records: Mercy (1-0, 0-0 ECC), Assumption (0-1, 0-0 NE10)
- Location: Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. (Mercy Field)
- The Lead: The No. 24 Mercy Mavericks scored twice in the second half while shutting the Assumption Greyhounds out in a 2-0 win in the season opener for both teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Kevin Rodriguez scored at the first goal of the game at the 51:36 mark on a through ball from four yards out from teammate Aaron Denk-Gracia. Rodriguez's goal landed in the upper left corner of the net for his first of the season.
-Mercy scored again at the 75:38 mark, this time on a header by Matthias Kuhn. Teammate Rainiero Salas sent a free kick from the right side toward the net, in which Kuhn got his head on the ball and put it home for the 2-0 lead.
-The Hounds placed four shots on net, including two in the second-half, but were turned away each time.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Mercy held a 16-9 shot advantage, while Assumption's Sebastian Jimenez (Naples, Fla. / Gulf Coast High School) had five saves to Mercy's four.
-Assumption led 8-4 in corner kicks, including a 6-1 advantage in the first-half.
- The Hounds will host Caldwell in their home opener on Saturday, September 7 at 2 p.m.