- Score: Assumption 2, Queens 0
- Records: Assumption (2-1-0, 0-0-0 NE10), Queens (2-1-0, 0-0-0 ECC)
- Location: Flushing, N.Y. (Knights Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption Greyhounds continued to get offensive production throughout the entirety of their lineup and goalkeeper Sebastian Jimenez (Naples, Fla. / Gulf Coast High School) made two saves to lead the Hounds past the Queens Knights 2-0 on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Ruben Faria (Fall River, Mass. / Bishop Connolly) scored his first goal of the season and first goal of the game at the 26:54 mark. The Bears had a bad throw-in, which let Faria gain control in the middle of an open field. He released a mighty kick and found the back of the bottom right corner of the net for the 1-0 lead.
-The Hounds then added an insurance goal at 68:21. With a couple players fighting to gain possession along the right edge of the field, Mauro Cortez (Providence, R.I. / La Salle Academy) came away with the ball and an open field. He sent a through pass to Jason Lages (Edgartown, Mass. / Martha's Vineyard Regional) and on a one-time kick, Lages put it into the top right corner of the net for the 2-0 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-The Knights held a 15-9 shot advantage, while Lages had a team-high three. Cristian Villalta led Queens with four shots.
-Queens held a 7-5 advantage in corners, including a 6-3 advantage in the first-half.
-Jimenez earned the win for the Hounds, making two saves and improving to 2-1-0 on the year.
- The Hounds travel to Southern Conn. St. on Tuesday, September 17, for a 7 p.m. start.