- Score: Bridgeport 2, Assumption 1
- Records: Bridgeport (8-4-1, 3-1-1 ECC), Assumption (7-6-0, 5-4-0 NE10)
- Location: Bridgeport, Conn. (Knights Field)
- The Lead: A trickling goal just barely got by the Assumption Greyhounds at the 76:05 mark, but it proved the difference against the Bridgeport Purple Knights, falling 2-1 on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Bridgeport's Leandro Avila gained possession of the ball on the left side of the field and placed a shot on net. It stayed low and Assumption goalkeeper Sebastian Jimenez (Naples, Fla. / Gulf Coast High School) got a piece of the ball, but it continued into the back of the net as the game-winner, putting the Purple Knights up 2-1.
-The Hounds had tied the game just under 13 minutes before Avila's goal. Mauro Cortez (Providence, R.I. / La Salle Academy) got a cross from Connor Willis (North Andover, Mass. / North Andover) at the top of the box to score his second goal of the season.
-The Purple Knights went up 1-0 at the 23:04 mark of the first half. Lucas Santos scored on a header coming off a free kick by Oscar Facey.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Bridgeport held an 18-9 shot advantage, but Assumption held a 5-4 advantage in corner kicks.
-Cortez's goal gives him two on the year. He also scored in his team's 3-2 win over Southern N.H. back on September 25. Willis has now added assists in back-to-back games for the Hounds. He has two assists on the year.
-Jimenez made three saves for the Hounds, but fell to 6-5-0. George Dixon IV (East Bridgewater, Mass. / East Bridgewater) made one save in 13:55 of play. Felipe Dias made two saves for the Purple Knights and improved to 2-1-0.
- The Hounds now have six days off before hosting New Haven on Tuesday, October 29 with kickoff set for 7 p.m. It will be senior day for the Hounds.