- Score: Assumption 4, Wheeling Jesuit 3 (Game One); Assumption 9, Minn. St. Moorhead 1 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (2-0, 0-0 NE10), Wheeling Jesuit (2-6, 0-0 MEC), Minn. St. Moorhead (2-9, 0-0 NSIC)
- Location: Clermont, Fla. (Legends Way)
- The Lead: Assumption started off their season with a close 4-3 win over Wheeling Jesuit where the Hounds fended off a comeback in the seventh to then carry the momentum into their 9-1 victory over Minnesota State Moorhead to start the season 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Assumption started the game with a rally in the top of the first with two outs. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) started the rally with a double that brought Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) home. The success at the plate continued when Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) reached first on an error that advanced Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) to second and scored Peabody for the Hounds to take a 2-0 lead.
- Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) kept the rally-on-two going with a single that scored Petrie and advanced Bialakis to second. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) ended the scoring for the Hounds in the top of the second inning after Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) brought Murphy home with a double to extend the lead to 4-0.
- Wheeling Jesuit answered with a run of their own in the bottom of the second to start to close the gap at 4-1. The Cardinals did not give up and put together a seventh inning effort where they earned three runs on bases-loaded situations. The Cardinals last inning rally fell short as the Hounds took the 4-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Petrie and Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) led the Hounds in hitting with Petire going 3-4 at the plate and Mirabell hitting 2-3.
- Drakoulakos, Peabody, Bialakis, and Richards all earned an RBI in the game to combine for a total of four RBIs.
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) started the game for the Hounds pitching and tallied six strikeouts and six walks in her five innings that totaled 25 batters. Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) finished the game, facing a total of 13 batters.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption scored first in the bottom of the second inning when Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) reached first base on an error that drove Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) in for a 1-0 lead over Minnesota State Moorhead.
- In the top of the fourth, the Dragons answered with a single to left field that resulted in a run to tie the game 1-1.
- The Hounds loaded the bases in the bottom of the sixth when Petrie was hit by pitch that brought a run in to start a scoring spree for Assumption. After an error in the field on a ball put in play by Drakoulakos, both Doherty and Mazzeo touched home to advance the lead to 4-1. The Hounds went on to score five more runs in the inning, which ended the game in the sixth inning with Assumption winning 9-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mazzeo went 4-4 at the plate with two runs and one RBI, while Shelby Lindsay (New Durham, N.H./Kingswood Regional High School) and Peabody both went 2-4.
- Doherty, Petrie, and Olivia Crowley (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) all earned an RBI for the Hounds to have a total of five on the game along with 12 hits.
- Barry started the game for the Hounds seeing 18 batters with five hits, while Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) finished with six batters and one strikeout.
- The Hounds are back in action on Monday, March 4, against University of Missouri at St. Louis at 9 a.m. and then LIU Post at 11:30 a.m.