- Score: Assumption 9, Mercyhurst 4 (Game One); Bridgeport 11, Assumption 2 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (5-3), Mercyhurst (2-14), Bridgeport (1-0)
- Location: Clermont, Fla. (Legends Way)
- The Lead: Assumption took control of the first game against Mercyhurst early and defended against a comeback to seal the 9-4 victory but were unable to keep the momentum in the second game and fell 11-2 to Bridgeport.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Olivia Crowley (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) started the scoring for the Hounds when she hit a single up the middle of the field to score Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) to gain a 1-0 lead in the top of the first. Mercyhurst answered in the bottom of the inning with a run of their own to tie it up 1-1.
- The Hounds took off in the second inning with a single from Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) to drive in Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) followed by another single from Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) up the left side of the field to score Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford). Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) grounded out to third for an RBI to score Drakoulakos and then Crowley reached first on an error that scored Murphy to earn a 6-1 lead after the top of the second.
- Peabody struck again when she hit a single to center field that scored Drakoulakos and Richards to extend the Hounds lead to 8-1 after the top of the third. Mercyhurst attempted a comeback in the bottom of the fourth inning where they scored three runs to get within four. Assumption scored one more run in the top of fifth to cap out the scoring for the day and earn a 9-4 win over Mercyhurst.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) earned the win pitching four innings and throwing 25 strikes to 19 batters while Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) closed the game throwing three innings with 11 batters and 17 strikes.
- Crowley and Peabody earned three RBIs while Mazzeo recorded the only double of the game and Beaton and Murphy stole the only two bases.
- Beaton and Peabody both went 5-3 from the plate while Drakoulakos and Mazzeo both went 4-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Bridgeport started the scoring in the second inning with a walk with the bases loaded to drive in the first run followed by a triple that brought in three runs for the Purple Knights to take a 4-0 after the top of the second inning.
- In the bottom of the third the Hounds gained some energy off a home run by Mazzeo with Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) on base to score two runs that brought them within two (4-2).
-Bridgeport came out in the top of the fourth inning and scored seven runs to complete the scoring for the game and take the 11-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) pitched five innings and faced 21 batters to record 40 strikes for three strikeouts while Patriacca closed the game for three innings facing 12 batters and threw 27 strikes.
- Peabody hit the only double of the game while Mazzeo earned the solo homerun and the two RBIs. Peabody, Bialakis and Mazzeo all went 2-1 in the game.
- The Hounds are back on the field tomorrow against Georgian Court at 9 a.m. and Ashland at 11:15 a.m.