- Score: Assumption 13, Southern Connecticut 6 (Game One); Southern Connecticut 12, Assumption 4 (Game Two)
- Records: Southern Connecticut (2-14, 1-3 NE10), Assumption (8-10, 2-4 NE10)
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (Pelz Field)
- The Lead: Assumption finished off the first game strong scoring seven runs in the final two innings to earn a 13-6 victory, but was unable to defend a Southern Connecticut second game play and fell 12-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- The scoring started early for the Hounds with Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) getting on base with a single up the left side. Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) walked and Murphy advanced to third. A fake bunt by Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) allowed Beaton to steal second and Murphy to steal home to take a 1-0 lead. Peabody then doubled up the right side to drive Beaton home to advance the lead to 2-0. The Hounds did not stop there. A single from Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) led to two RBIs to extend the lead to 4-0 after the top of the first inning.
- Southern Connecticut answered quickly with a double to left center to score their first run of the game and lessen the Hounds' lead to three (4-1). A fly out to center led to an RBI, which gave the Owls two runs. The tying two runs came from a single by Cailey Botteon to make the game 4-4 after the first inning.
- Assumption kept their momentum into the second inning when Beaton doubled to left field for two RBIs with Murphy and Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) to give the Hounds' a 6-4 lead. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) finished the inning for Assumption with two strikeouts to ensure the lead headed into the third inning.
- The Hounds were unable to score in the top of the third, but the Owls put on the pressure in the bottom of the inning. A groundout to second led to an RBI for the Owls to get within one (6-5) with two outs. A single through the left side allowed the Owls to tie the game at 6-6 after three innings.
- Assumption came alive again in the top of the sixth inning when a clutch RBI to right field from Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) scored Beaton to take a 7-6 lead. Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) finished out the sixth inning for Assumption with one strikeout, a fly out and a forced out to keep the Owls from scoring a tying run.
- The Hounds kept the momentum going in the top of the seventh inning when Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) doubled, which led to two RBIs with Mazzeo and Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) scoring while Murphy advanced to third to give Assumption a 9-6 lead. A bunt from Beaton scored Murphy followed by and RBI from Peabody to score Drakoulakos gave the Hounds an 11-6 lead. Petrie rounded out the inning with a home run over the left center fence to score herself and Beaton to seal the 13-6 victory for Assumption.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nowicki earned the win for the Hounds facing 22 batters with five strikeouts, seven hits, two walks and no runs. Patriacca faced 15 batters with two strikeouts, six hits, and six runs. Kailey Westington of the Owls took the loss facing 13 batters with one strikeout, one walk, four hits and five runs.
- Beaton led the Hounds going 4-for-4 at the plate scoring three runs, one walk, three RBIs, two doubles and two stolen bases. Richards went 2-for-3 in the box with two walks and two RBIs.
- Murphy went 3-for-5 at the plate while Petrie went 1-for-5 with the only home run of the game for three RBIs. Drakoulakos and Peabody both recorded two RBIs to round out the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- The Hounds carried over their scoring momentum of the first game into the second game when Petrie hit her second home run of the day to score three runs to take a quick 3-0 lead in the top of the first. Southern Connecticut answered with one quick run off a single to the pitcher for and RBI followed by another single by Cailey Botteon for two RBIs to tie the game at three after the first inning.
- The Owls continued the scoring spree in the bottom of the third inning when Liz DeRosa doubled to center field for one RBI followed by two singles for two more runs to cross the plate and the Owls took a 6-3 lead after three innings. In the fifth inning Southern Connecticut scored two more runs off a double down the left field line from Alexa Bacoulis and a single from Jayden Delaporta to advance their lead to 8-3 after five.
- The Hounds answered in the top of the sixth when Olivia Crowley (Lowell, Mass./Lowell) flied out to right field for an RBI with Peabody scoring to lessen the Owls' lead to 8-4. Southern Connecticut finished out the sixth inning with three more runs off a bad throw by Assumption for the first one and two more singles for the final two runs for the Owls to take the game 12-4 in six innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Erin Barry () took the loss for the second game facing 24 batters for one strikeout, one walk, nine hits and eight runs. Patriacca finished out the game with 10 batters for one strikeout, one walk, six hits and four runs. Madison Feshler earned the win for the Owls with one strikeout.
- Petrie hit the only home run of the game for her second one of the day going 2-for-3 at the plate for three RBIs. Peabody and Richards both went 2-for-3 in the box as well while Crowley earned the other RBI for the game.
- The Hounds are home on Tuesday, March 26, against Merrimack at 4 p.m.