- Score: Assumption 2, Franklin Pierce 1 (Game One); Assumption 4, Franklin Pierce 1 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (10-10, 4-4 NE10), Franklin Pierce (5-14, 1-4 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption found their bats late in the first game to come back and earn a 2-1 win in the bottom of the seventh. The Hounds kept their momentum from the first win and took an early 3-0 lead on Franklin Pierce and eventually sealed the 4-1 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Both the Ravens' and the Hounds' defenses played at a high-level through the fourth inning. In the top of the fourth, Cat Simmons of Franklin Pierce hit a home run over the left center fence for the only RBI of the game for the Ravens and to give Franklin Pierce a 1-0 lead.
- Assumption answered in the bottom of the sixth when Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) hit a single up the middle of the field followed by a ball in play from Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) that resulted in an out at first but advanced Mazzeo to second. After a strikeout, Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) was at the plate and hit a double past the third baseman to score Mazzeo and to tie the game 1-1.
- The Hounds were able to hold Franklin Pierce scoreless in the top of the seventh with a pop out, a ground out and then a strikeout to head into the bottom of the inning. Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) started the momentum with a single to left field. Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere High School) pinch ran for Petrie while Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) pinch hit for Olivia Crowley (Lowell, Mass./Lowell). A sacrifice bunt from Doherty advanced Hinojosa to second with Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) at the plate. Bialakis hit a double up the left side of the field for an RBI that scored Hinojosa to earn the Hounds the 2-1 win in the bottom of the seventh.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) earned the win for the Hounds with seven innings pitched, four strikeouts, two walks and three hits for the sole run. She faced a total of 25 batters with 77 strikes pitched. Cyrena Zemaitis took the loss pitching 6.1 innings for nine strikeouts, no walks and five hits for two runs.
- Mazzeo went 1-for-2 at the plate while Petrie, Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School), Beaton and Bialakis all went 1-for-3 in the box. Beaton, Peabody and Bialakis all earned doubles while Beaton and Bialakis recorded the two RBIs.
- Simmons recorded the only home run of the game along with the sole RBI for the Ravens while Allie Martinez earned the only double.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption took the momentum of the last two innings of the first game and brought it into the first inning of the second game when Murphy bunted for a single and then advanced to second on a wild pitch. A sacrifice bunt by Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) allowed Murphy to get in scoring position at third base. Beaton then singled up the middle to score Murphy for an RBI and a 1-0 lead. After Beaton advanced to second on another wild pitch, Peabody doubled over the center fielder's head for to score Beaton and take a 2-0 lead to end out the bottom of the first inning.
- The Hounds fought off a strong offensive effort from Franklin Pierce in the top of the second before getting another chance at the plate. Mazzeo singled to third base and then advanced to second on an error by the first baseman. Mazzeo then stole third to put herself into scoring position with Murphy up to bat. Murphy grounded out to second base, but Mazzeo scored to extend the Hounds' lead to 3-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth the Hounds struck again. Mazzeo singled to left field and then stole second. Abigail Duggan (West Roxbury, Mass./Mount Alvernia High School) put the ball in play and reached first on an error while Mazzeo took third on the hit and touched home on the error to take a 4-0 lead over the Ravens.
- Simmons of the Ravens tried to get something going in the top of the fifth when she doubled to left field to score Martinez before Assumption forced an out. Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) finished out the game for the Hounds with two ground outs and a fly out to earn Assumption the 4-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) earned the win for Assumption pitching six innings for three strikeouts, three walks, five hits and one run. She faced 26 batters and threw a total of 51 strikes. Barry earned the save for her second of the season pitching one inning with one hit and 13 strikes thrown. Amelis Mamone of the Ravens took the loss and pitched four innings for three strikeouts, no walks, three hits, one run and a total of 35 strikes thrown to 15 batters.
- Drakoulakos went 2-for-2 in the box with a sacrifice bunt while Mazzeo was 1-for-3 at the plate with two stolen bases. Peabody earned a double and an RBI on the game while Bialakis recorded a double. Murphy, Beaton and Duggan all recorded RBIs as well.
- Beaton earned three double plays in the game while Bialakis earned one.
- The Hounds are home again on Sunday, March 31 to round out a weekend against Franklin Pierce at 12 p.m.