- Score: Assumption 2, Stonehill 0 (Game One); Assumption 5, Stonehill 2 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (13-10, 7-4 NE10), Stonehill (4-15, 1-8 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption extended their win streak to five games with a pair of wins over Stonehill highlighted by 14 innings pitched by Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) only allowing two runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- The defense for both Assumption and Stonehill was outstanding with no hits until the third inning. The Hounds started some offense in the bottom of the third when Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) reached first on a fielder's choice followed by Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) beating out a ball hit to third base that advanced Mazzeo to second.
- The momentum continued with a single to left field by Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) scored Mazzeo and put Murphy on second with only one out. Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) continued the offense with a single that flew past the second baseman and scored Murphy to give the Hounds a 2-0 lead after the third inning.
- Nowicki finished out the game for Assumption throwing two strikeouts and forcing six ground outs and three fly outs to end the game with a 2-0 victory for Assumption.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nowicki earned the win throwing to 24 batters with 48 strikes to record four strikeouts, two walks and throw a two hitter. Katherine Rayner pitched to 23 batters, recording 52 strikes for three strikeouts, no walks and five hits.
- Murphy led the Hounds going 2-for-3 at the plate with one run while Drakoulakos and Beaton both went 1-for-3 in the box and both recorded an RBI. Beaton also earned the only stolen base for the Hounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Stonehill came out ready to play in the top of the first inning. With two outs, the Skyhawks forced and error to get Michelle Theilgard on base followed by a walk for Julia Hartman. With runners on first and second with two outs, Sophie Perez hit a double to left field for two RBIs to score Theilgard and Hartman for a 2-0 lead.
- Assumption answered the Skyhawks in the bottom of the second inning when Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) earned a walk and then was bunted to second by Shelby Lindsay (New Durham, N.H./Kingswood Regional High School). Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) then bunted Bialakis to third and Lindsay to second, but got out at first base. Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) then grounded out to the pitcher, but hit in Bialakis to get within on (2-1) of the Skyhawks.
- The Hounds struck again in the bottom of the third inning when Murphy singled to left field and Drakoulakos bunted her over to second base. With a runner on second with one out, Beaton forced an error to get on base and score Murphy to tie the game 2-2.
- Assumption's offense took off in the bottom of the fifth inning with back-to-back singles from Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) and Bialakis. Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere High School) then pinch ran for Bialakis. Both Peabody and Hinojosa took advantage of a passed ball and advanced themselves to third and second base with two outs and Mirabell at the plate. Mirabell singled to right field for two RBIs to score Peabody and Hinojosa for Assumption to take a 4-2 lead. Richards kept the momentum going and singled to left field to put runners on first and second with Mazzeo at the plate. Mazzeo hit a single to left center that drove in Mirabell from second to give the Hounds a 5-2 lead after five innings.
- The Hounds solidified the win with only allowing the Skyhawks two hits in the remaining two innings while Nowicki finished out throwing three strikeouts to earn the 5-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Nowicki earned another win on the day pitching 69 strikes for six strikeouts, two walks, four hits and two runs while Rayner pitched 58 strikes for three strikeouts, one walks, six hits and five runs.
- Murphy went 2-for-4 at the plate with one run while Mirabell went 1-for-3 with two RBIs and one run. Mazzeo led the team going 2-for-3 in the box with one RBI in the game.
- The Hounds are home for two more on Saturday, April 6, at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. for a double-header against Le Moyne.