- Score: Assumption 7, Le Moyne 1 (Game One); Le Moyne 8, Assumption 6 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (14-11, 7-5 NE10), Le Moyne (13-11, 5-2)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption dominated the first game with a lead of 7-0 before the final inning when Le Moyne scored their first and only run to give the Hounds a 7-1 victory. Assumption lost momentum late in the second game and gave up four runs in the fifth and four runs in the seventh innings to drop the game 8-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Assumption dominated the play from the bottom of the first inning when Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) reached first on an error. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) hit a single up the middle of the field to put runners on first and second with two outs and Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) at the plate. Petrie doubled to left field to score Beaton to end the inning up 1-0.
- In the bottom of the second inning, Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) and Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) were on base when Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) put a sacrifice bunt down to advance the runners to second and third. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) put the ball in play and reached on a fielder's choice when Mirabell was thrown out at home. There were runners on first and third with two outs when Murphy stole second and Richards scored on the throw to second to give the Hounds a 2-0 lead after two innings.
- The Hounds scored two more runs in the bottom of the third when Petrie singled to left field to drive Beaton in and move Peabody to second base. Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) put down the second sacrifice bunt of the game to move the runner to second and third with only one out. Mirabell earned a walk to load the bases before Mazzeo reached first on a fielder's choice to drive Peabody in while Le Moyne attempted to get Petrie out at third. Assumption had a 4-0 lead over Le Moyne with the bases loaded before the Dolphins forced an out to get out of the inning.
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, Beaton hit a home run to extend Assumption's lead to five (5-0). Later in the inning, with the bases loaded and two outs, Mazzeo delivered again with a single to right center that drove in Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) and Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere High School) to give the Hounds a 7-0 lead headed into the seventh inning.
- Assumption almost closed out a shutout until Peyton Bellrose hit a single to left field. Taylor Cox pinch ran for Bellrose and advanced to second on a fielder's choice. Chelsea Delperuto then hit a double to left field to drive Cox in for the sole run for the Dolphins. Assumption took the 7-1 win after Richards caught a foul ball to end the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) earned the win for Assumption pitching all seven innings for eight strikeouts, one walk, six hits, and one run along with throwing a total of 73 strikes in the game. Lauren Nichols took the loss for Le Moyne pitching five innings with two strikeouts, two walks, nine hits, one home run, and five runs.
- Beaton went 3-for-4 at the plate with the only home run of the game along with one RBI. Peabody was 2-for-4 in the box while Petrie was 2-for-3 with two RBIs and one double. Mazzeo went 1-for-3 at the plate with three RBIs and one sacrifice bunt.
- Murphy recorded two double-plays in the game and the only stolen base for Assumption.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption continued their momentum from the first game into the second game with another home run by Beaton with Doherty on base for Beaton to earn two RBIs and the Hounds to take a 2-0 lead after the first inning.
- The Hounds gained more ground in the bottom of the second inning when Richards was hit by a pitch and then advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Allison Ainley (Rehoboth, Mass./Dighton-Rehoboth Regional). Mazzeo struck again with a double to left center field to score Richards and to put Assumption ahead 3-0. Murphy successfully bunted to get on base and moved Mazzeo to third in the process. Murphy then stole second to put herself in scoring position. When Mazzeo took too large of a lead on third base, the catcher attempted to throw her out, but the throw was never caught and rolled to left field for Mazzeo to score and Murphy to advance to third. Doherty was then walked and stole second to put a runner on second and third with one out before Beaton was intentionally walked. Peabody had a sacrifice fly to center field that scored Murphy and gave Assumption a 5-0 lead after two innings.
- The Dolphins answered back in the top of the fourth when there was a runner on second and third and Kaily Laforce hit a single up the middle of the field to score Aubrie Williams and make the score 5-1 after the fourth inning.
- In the top of the fifth inning the Dolphins struck again. A single up the middle from Cassidy Barrett followed by a double up the left side of the field from Ally Nicolosi scored Barrett with one out. Nicolosi then stole third base before Williams reached first on a fielder's choice and then advanced to second when the throw went home to avoid a score. Delperuto then reached first on an error that scored Nicolosi. Olivia Littman hit a single up the middle of the field to score Williams and end the inning down 5-4. The Hounds answered back with a home run from Peabody to take a two run lead headed into the sixth inning (6-4)
- The Dolphins did not give up and started a comeback in the top of the seventh inning. Nicolosi hit a single and then advanced to second on a passed ball before a strikeout followed by a walk for Bellrose. Taylor Artley pinch ran for Bellrose and there was a runner on first and second with one out. Delperuto delivered with a hard hit to force an error and reach first to score Nicolosi and advance Artley to second. A single from Laforce moved Delperuto to second and Artley to third with two outs. Madison DeRita singled to right field for two RBIs when Artley and Delperuto scored and Laforce advanced to third. A wild pitch allowed DeRita to move to second and Laforce to score and give the Dolphins an 8-6 lead headed into the bottom of the seventh.
- With bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the seventh, a line drive caught by the third baseman ended Assumption's comeback effort and the Hounds dropped the game 8-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Nichols earned the win for Le Moyne with seven innings pitched for three strikeouts, five walks, two home runs, six hits and six runs. Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) took the loss pitching the final innings for one strikeout, one walk, three hits and four runs. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) pitched the beginning of the game for Assumption with three strikeouts, no walks, six hits and four runs.
- Beaton went 2-for-3 in the box with another home run and two RBIs while Peabody went 1-for-3 for two RBI, one home run and one sacrifice fly. Mazzeo recorded the other RBI of the game while Murphy and Doherty earned the two stolen bases for the Hounds.
- The Hounds back on their home field Sunday, April 7, for a double-header against Saint Rose at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.