- Score: Assumption 6, Saint Rose 1 (Game One); Assumption 3, Saint Rose 2 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (16-11, 10-5 NE10); Saint Rose (11-13, 5-5)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption dominated the first game against Saint Rose where the Hounds scored five runs in the fifth and won the game 6-1 before the Golden Knights took them to eight innings in the second game when Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) hit a homer over the left field fence in the bottom of the inning to seal the 3-2 victory for Assumption.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Up until the fourth inning, Saint Rose had recorded four hits, but no runs had been scored for either team. In the bottom of the fourth, Assumption got some momentum that started with Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) hitting a single to right center and then advancing to second on a miscommunicated throw by the Golden Knights. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) reached first on an error, which drove Beaton in for the first run of the game. A ground out moved Peabody to second base before she stole third to put herself in scoring position with one out. Bialakis hit a double to left center that drove Peabody in and gave Assumption a 2-0 lead.
- The scoring did not stop there, both Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) and Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) earned walks to load the bases with one out and Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) at the plate. Mazzeo hit a single to left field that drove in Bialakis and kept the bases loaded. A wild pitch allowed Mirabell to score and Richards and Mazzeo to advance to second and third with one out and a 4-0 lead. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) beat out a hit to third base and then advanced to second on a bad throw while Mazzeo moved to third and Richards scored to give Assumption a 5-0 before the inning ended.
- Three consecutive outs in the top of fifth all put out by Beaton led to the bottom of the fifth inning. The Hounds kept the energy from the previous inning with a double by Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) and a single up the middle by Mirabell put runners on second and third with one out. A wild pitch allowed a run to cross putting Assumption up 6-0 after five innings.
- The Golden Knights put forth a comeback in the top of the seventh inning with two outs. Briana Bowen started the momentum with a single to left field followed by a single up the middle of the field by Katie Drogo to put runners on first and second. Astasia Myler reached first on an error that scored Bowen and put Drogo on third. The Golden Knights were unable to finish the comeback when the third out came on a ground out and Assumption took the 6-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) earned the win pitching all seven innings for three strikeouts, three walks, six hits and one run throughout 31 batters faced and a total of 65 strikes thrown. Emily Kurtzner took the loss with 33 total strikes thrown for one strikeout, two walks, two hits and five runs. Kylee Warner finished out the game for Saint Rose with 34 total strikes for one strikeout, one walks, five hits and one run.
- Beaton led the Hounds going 2-for-2 at the plate with one double and one RBI while Petrie went 1-for-3 in the box with a double as well. Bialakis recorded a double, an RBI and a double-play while Murphy and Mazzeo earned the other two RBIs.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Saint Rose came out strong in the second game with a bunt for a single up the third base line by Bowen. Drogo then singled up the left side and advanced to second while Bowen advanced to third. Savanna Liverio then flied out to right field for a sacrifice fly as Bowen crossed home to give the Golden Knights a quick 1-0 lead.
- The Hounds tied the game up in the bottom of the third inning when Murphy singled to shortstop and then was moved to second by a sacrifice bunt from Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School). Beaton then put down another sacrifice bunt that moved Murphy to third and led to Murphy scoring when the throw was made to first to get Beaton out. This tied the game 1-1 after three innings.
- The Golden Knights answered quickly in the top of the fourth with a walk and then a stolen base to put Taylor Matlock on second base with two outs and Liz D'Agostino at the plate. D'Agostino hit a single to center field that she then advanced to second on the throw to home where Matlock scored to give Saint Rose the 2-1 lead.
- Assumption did not respond until the bottom of the fifth inning when Murphy singled to left field and advanced to second on a wild pitch and took third on the same pitch. Mirabell pinch hit and hit a fly ball to left field that was caught, but Murphy tagged up on third and crossed home plate to tie the game 2-2 after five innings.
- Neither team scored for the remainder of the seven innings, which sent the game into the eighth inning. Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) threw two strikeouts and forced a pop out in the top of the eighth to give Assumption the chance to win the game in the bottom of the eighth. With one out, Bialakis stepped up to the plate and hit a home run over the left field fence to give her team the 3-2, eight-inning victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Nowicki earned the win for the Hounds with four innings pitched for five strikeouts, three walks, no hits and no runs with a total of 37 strikes thrown. Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) started the game for Assumption and threw one strikeout and one walk in four innings along with five hits and two runs.
- Mazzeo led the Hounds going 2-for-3 in the box followed by Murphy who went 2-for-4 at the plate with two runs. Mirabell, Beaton, and Bialakis all recorded RBIs while Bialakis earned the only home run of the day.
- The Hounds are on the road Tuesday, April 9, at Stonehill for a double-header at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.