- Score: Assumption 12, Stonehill 0 (Game One); Assumption 8, Stonehill 6 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (18-11, 11-5 NE10), Stonehill (7-18, 4-19 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass.
- The Lead: Sophomore Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) tossed the fifth perfect game in program history, leading Assumption to a dominant 12-0 win in five innings, and the Hounds stormed back from a 6-2 deficit in the second game to beat Stonehill 8-6 and earn the sweep on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- The Hounds started the scoring in the top of the second inning when Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) hit a double to centerfield with two outs. Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) then hit a single to centerfield that scored Mirabell to give Assumption a quick 1-0 lead.
- In the top of the seventh, Assumption took control of the game starting with Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) hitting a single to centerfield and then Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) hit her fourth home run of the season to bring two runs across home plate and give the Hounds a 3-0 lead. Later in the inning with two outs, Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) doubled to centerfield to drive in Richards followed by Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) hitting a single to left field that brought Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) home.
- Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) kept the scoring going when she hit a double to right centerfield to bring Drakoulakos across home plate. A passed ball and throwing error allowed Beaton and Peabody to run home and gave Assumption an 8-0 lead after four innings.
- A three-run homer by Beaton in the top of the fifth inning extended the Hounds' lead to 11-0 followed by Peabody doubling to left center. Petrie then reached first on an error and Peabody scored to put Assumption ahead 12-0 after the top of the fifth inning. Nowicki finished off her perfect game with two two ground outs and a strikeout to give Assumption the 12-0 victory in five innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nowicki threw a perfect game and a no-hitter with five strikeouts and no walks. She threw a total of 39 strikes and just 58 pictches overall to the 15 batters she faced. Nowicki is the fifth player in Assumption history to throw a perfect game, with the last time by Jennifer Lowrey against American International in 2012.
- Beaton went 3-for-4 at the plate with two runs, four RBIs and one home run while Bialakis went 2-for-3 in the box with one run, two RBIs and one home run. Peabody, Drakoulakos and Richards all earned one RBI in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Stonehill jumped out to a quick lead in the bottom of the first inning when Sophie Perez hit a single and then advanced to third that scored Genna Hartman. Julia Perrone then singled up the middle to bring Hartman home and give Stonehill a 2-0 lead.
- Assumption answered in the top of the second inning when Peabody hit a double down the left field line to later be brought home by Bialakis who hit her second home run of the game to tie the game up 2-2 in the top of the second.
- The Skyhawks then scored four runs in the bottom of the second inning when a fielding error allowed two runs in followed by a single to right center by Hartman that drove in the other two runs to give Stonehill a 6-2 lead after two innings.
- In the top of the third, the Hounds made some ground when Amanda Voellings (Grafton, Mass./Grafton) singled down the left field line. Drakoulakos followed with a single up the middle to put runners on first and third with one out. Beaton stepped up the plate and hit a double to right field that brought Voellings home and Drakoulakos to third to get Assumption within three runs (6-3). Peabody then singled to left center that scored both Drakoulakos and Beaton to bring the Hounds within one (6-5) after the third inning.
- The scoring for Assumption continued in the top of the fourth inning when Voellings walked and then Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) hit a double to right center to bring Voellings home and tie the game 6-6.
- In the top of the seventh inning the Hounds had a runner on second with one out and Beaton at the plate. Beaton singled to left field and then advanced to second on the throw while Doherty crossed home to give Assumption a 7-6 lead. Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere High School) then ran for Beaton and was moved to third on a ground out by Peabody. There were now two outs and Bialakis up to bat. Bialakis delivered with a single down the left field line to score Hinojosa and earn Assumption an 8-6 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) earned the win pitching four innings of relief with five strikeouts, one walk, two hits and no runs for a total of 47 strikes thrown. Giuliana Pierce (Pittsfield, Mass./Pittsfield) earned the save throwing one inning with no strikeouts, no walks, and a total of eight strikes thrown. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) pitched the first two innings of the game with one strikeout, two walks, five hits and six runs.
- Bialakis recorded her second home run of the day along with three RBIs, one run and went 3-for-4 at the plate. Beaton and Peabody both went 2-for-4 in the box and both recorded two RBIs while Doherty went 1-for-4 with one run and one RBI.
- The Hounds are home on Thursday, April 11, against Merrimack at 4 p.m.