- Score: Assumption 5, Southern N.H. 3 (Game One); Southern N.H. 5, Assumption 0 (Game Two)
- Records: Southern N.H. (31-5, 16-1 NE10), Assumption (19-14, 12-8 NE10)
- Location: Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Softball Field)
- The Lead: Assumption took Southern N.H. to ten innings of play and served the Penmen their first loss in 22 games in a 5-3 victory but were unable to keep their momentum and fell in the second game 5-0 to split the day with the Penmen.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Assumption jumped out to score the first runs of the game in the top of the third inning when Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) reached first on a single to left center followed by Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) forcing a walk. Both runners advanced to second and third on a passed ball to put themselves in scoring position with one out. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) singled to the pitcher and drove Richards home and Mazzeo to third. Murphy stole second right before Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) singled to left field to bring Mazzeo across home plate and give the Hounds a 2-0 lead.
- Southern N.H. responded quickly in the bottom of the third inning when there were runners on second and third with two outs. Gabrielle Vachon then singled to left field to drive in Emily Carbonneau to get within one of the Hounds (2-1) after the third inning. The Penmen continued the scoring in the bottom of the fourth when Emily Critch homered over left center and tied the game 2-2.
- In the top of the sixth inning the Hounds came to life when Drakoulakos doubled to right center and then Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) singled through the left side and then stole second. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) was hit by a pitch to load the bases with no outs. Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) reached first on a fielder's choice that forced Drakoulakos out at home. Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) was then at the plate with the bases loaded and one out when she hit a single to left center to drive Beaton home and give Assumption a 3-2 lead.
- The Penmen tied the game up at 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh when Erin Tyrrell singled to right center to drive Logan Filo-Loos home and send the game to extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth inning the Hounds had a chance to take the win with a single hit to left field by Richards that almost drove a run in that was tagged out at home. Assumption then held the Penmen scoreless to head into the ninth inning. Neither team got a scoring opportunity in the ninth inning with Assumption forcing a fly out, ground out, and line out to get another chance in the top of the tenth.
- Assumption placed Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) on second and Doherty quickly advanced to third on a passed ball. Beaton then doubled to left center to score Doherty and give the Hounds a 4-3 lead. With Beaton on second and two outs, Petrie singled to centerfield and drove Beaton home to extend Assumption's lead to two (5-3). The Hounds put out the first three batters for the Penmen and earned the 5-3 ten-inning victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) earned the win for Assumption pitching six innings with four strikeouts, three walks, one hit and one hit with a total of 46 strikes thrown. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) pitched the first four innings with no strikeouts, three walks, seven hits and two runs with a total of 43 strikes thrown.
- Richards went 2-for-4 at the plate with one run while Petrie went 3-for-5 with two RBIs. Both Drakoulakos and Beaton were 2-for-5 in the box and both recorded an RBI a piece while Beaton earned two runs.
- The Hounds winning this game put the Penmen's 22-game win streak to an end while also serving the Penmen their first conference loss of the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption held sound defense, only facing eleven batters in the first three innings of play. The Penmen opened up the scoring in the bottom of the fourth with a walk and then a sacrifice bunt to move the runner into scoring position at second base. The runner then advanced to third with a ground out to the pitcher. Jackie Gavin then went to the plate and singled to right center to score the runner and give Southern N.H. a 1-0 lead. A single from Shay Sauvageau put runners on first and second with one out. Vachon hit a single to right center to score Gavin and earn the Penmen a 2-0 lead after four innings.
- The Penmen continued the scoring in the bottom of the fifth when Jordan Wade hit a triple to centerfield to score Erin Garczynski. Carbonneau then singled up the middle to score Wade and extend the Penmen's lead to 4-0. In the bottom of the sixth the Penmen scored again to have a lead of five headed into Assumption's last scoring attempt. The Hounds were unable to score any runs and ultimately fell to Southern N.H. 5-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Patriacca took the loss for the Hounds pitching for a little over five innings with no strikeouts, two walks, seven hits, five runs and a total of 50 strikes thrown.
- Mazzeo led the Hounds going 1-for-2 at the plate while Petrie went 1-for-3 for the only two hits of the game for Assumption.
- The Hounds are back in action on Wednesday, April 17, when they travel to Bentley for a double-header at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.