-Score: Assumption 157, Mount Holyoke 114
-Location: South Hadley, Mass.
-The Lead: The Assumption women's swimming and diving team defeated Mount Holyoke College, 157-114 today in South Hadley, Massachusetts. The Hounds claimed nine first-place finishes, including two individual wins by sophomore Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Quirk swam her way to a pair of first place finishes today, placing first in the 1,000 freestyle with a time of 10:56.35, while also claiming the 500 freestyle in 5:23.91.
- Freshman Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) had a great day, winning the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:00.57, while placing second in the 50 freestyle (25.88) and the 100 butterfly (1:01.51). Kaczor also teamed up with classmates Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory), Abbey Holmes (Laurel, MD / Archbishop Spalding) and Emma Magna (Niantic, C.T. / East Lyme) to finish second in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:55.50.
- Freshman Kelsey Johnstone (Southwick, Mass. / Westfield) registered a victory in the 200 breaststroke, finishing with a time of 2:31.90, while placing second in the 100 breaststroke in 1:10.20. Fellow freshmen Kurtz won the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:14.64, and Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) placed in two events, finishing second in the 1,000 free (11:09.44) and third in the 100 backstroke (1:04.51).
- Junior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) and senior Rachel Lanam (Sebastian, Fla. / Sebastian River) each claimed an individual event, as Morgan won the 100 backstroke in 1:03.03 and Lanam won the 100 butterfly with a time of 2:17.49. Morgan also placed second in the 200 breaststroke (2:35.71) and the 200 IM (2:21.05).
- In the 100 freestyle, the Hounds claimed the first three spots, as Holmes (56.33 seconds), senior Allie Wuerfl (Wayland, Mass. / Wayland) (56.62 seconds) and Magna (57.53 seconds) finished first, second and third respectively.
- The quartet of LaQue, senior Tricia Lee (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood), Magna and junior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) swam the fastest time in the 200 freestyle relay, finishing with a time of 1:44.92.
-The Greyhounds return to action tomorrow as they compete in the Worcester City Championship, hosted by Holy Cross for an all-day event.