- Event: WPI Gompei Invitational
- Results: 1st out of 13 teams
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI)
- The Lead: The Assumption swimming and diving team claimed the WPI Gompei Invitational today after wrapping up the third and final day of the meet. Sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) led the way with a new program record in the 100 IM.
HOW IT HAPPENED: DAY THREE
- Holmes highlighted the day for the Hounds, winning the 100 IM while breaking the Assumption record with a time of 59.06 seconds. Junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) also competed in the 100 IM, finishing eighth while clocking in at 1:04.15.
- In the 500 freestyle, sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) and junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) each recorded top five finishes, as Kurtz placed third in 5:09.01 and Quirk touched in fourth (5:09.65). Freshman Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) also finished the race inside of the top ten, finishing with a time of 5:11, while sophomore Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) finished in ninth (5:25.74).
- Holmes and freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) competed in the 50 breaststroke, racing to times of 31.31 seconds and 32.32 seconds, good for fourth and eighth place finishes.
- Sophomore Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme) paced the Hounds in the 100 frestyle with a time of 54.29 seconds, as senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) placed ninth with a time of 54.88 seconds. Senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) competed in the 200 backstroke and touched the wall in seventh, clocking in with a time of 2:09.02.
- In the 200 butterfly, junior Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School) raced to a seventh place finish (2:11.64), classmate Kelsey Kozikowski (Berlin, Conn. / Berlin) finished in ninth (2:13.63), and Kurtz placed tenth in 2:16.56.
- The 400 freestyle relay of Holmes, Guadalupi, Nicholls and Veroneau combined to finish third with a time of 3:36.36.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption won the Invitational with 2778 points, reclaiming the title from Bryant after the Bulldogs won a year ago. Bryant placed second this year with 2679 points, while Rowan (1911), WPI (1813) and Bentley (1684) rounded out the top five.
- The Hounds return to action January 20th when they travel to LIU Post to take on the Pioneers in a dual meet at 1:00 p.m.