- Event: NE10 Championship – Day 4
- Results: 2nd out of 10 teams
- Location: Worcester, Mass.: Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
- The Lead: The Assumption swimming and diving team raced their hearts out, but couldn't overcome Southern Connecticut and their diving, as the Hounds placed second with a point total of 830.5
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass. / Wakefield Memorial) kicked off the final day of action with a gold medal in the 1650 freestyle, pacing the field with a time of 17:22.49. Sophomore Sydney LaQue (Burnt Hills, N.Y. / Burnt Hills Ballston Lake) swam her way to a ninth place finish in the event, finishing with a time of 18:11.64, while freshman Lauren Kuhns (Homer, Alaska / Homer) placed 19th in 18:55.43.
- In the 200 breaststroke, freshman Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) earned a bronze medal with a time of 2:24.03, a whole second faster than her qualifying time in the preliminaries. Junior Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa / Clarendon) turned in a fifth place performance, touching the wall in 2:25.24, almost three second faster than in the preliminaries. Sophomore Hannah Nitso (Attleboro, Mass. / Bishop Feehan) went down to the wire in the 'B' final, placing second in the heat with a time of 2:30.16, .14 off of first place.
- The Hounds placed two swimmers in the top-five of the 100 freestyle, as senior Bry Veroneau (Belchertown, Mass. / Belchertown) and sophomore Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md. / Archbishop Spalding) finished fourth and fifth with times of 52.84 and 53.32 seconds. In the 'B' Final, sophomore Emma Magna (Niantic, Conn. / East Lyme) and classmate Sydney Rangulong (Duxbury, Mass. / Duxbury) finished in first and second, clocking in at 54.03 and 54.33 seconds, respectively.
- In the 200 backstroke, senior Niamh Morgan (Bettystown, Ireland / Sacred Heart School) led the Hounds with a fifth place finish, touching the wall in 2:06.36, while freshman Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine / Cony) raced her way to a seventh place finish in 2:08.30. Senior Courtney Barr (Waltham, Mass. / Matignon) won the 'B' Final after finishing with a time of 2:07.45.
- Assumption had four swimmers compete in the finals of the 200 butterfly, where sophomore Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J. / Rutgers Preparatory) paced the Hounds with a fourth place finish in 2:08.58. Sophomore Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) and junior Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass. / Austin Preparatory School) finished right behind her, placing fifth and sixth with times of 2:10.12 and 2:11.19. Junior Kelsey Kozikowski (Berlin, Conn. / Berlin) recorded a top-10 finish in the event, racing her way to a seventh place finish with a time of 2:11.40.
- The 400 freestyle relay consisting of Veroneau, Nicholls, Holmes and Magna combined to finish with a time of 3:35.09, which placed them fourth overall. In the 'B' Final, Guadalupi, Rangulong, Omobono and Kaczor raced their way to a second place finish with a time of 3:36.18.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption finished with a point total of 830.5, while Southern Connecticut claimed the 2018 NE10 Championship with 876 points. Bentley finished third with 647.5 points, while Pace (577.5) and Le Moyne (394.5) rounded out the top-5.