- Event: Gompei Invitational
- Results: 2nd
- Location: Worcester, Mass.
- The Lead: Assumption had a strong finish in the Gompei Invitational where they claimed fourteen top ten spots while breaking three team records throughout the duration of the meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the 200 backstroke, the Hounds had only one top ten finish with Anne Guadalupi (Augusta, Maine/Cony) in second (2:05.50) and in the 50 breaststroke Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa/Clarendon) earned eighth with a time of 31.45.
- The Hounds excelled in the 500 free claiming three top ten finishes. Colleen Kurtz (Somerset, N.J./Rutgers Preparatory) earned fourth (5:09.34), Shannon Quirk (Wakefield, Mass./Wakefield) earned fifth (5:11.42) and Payton Horton (Port Elizabeth, South Africa/St. Dominic's) took ninth (5:17.12).
- Assumption also dominated in the 100 IM where they took another three top ten spots. Holmes swam to second with a time of 58.42 followed by Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass./Nantucket) in fifth (1:01.53) and Grace Gustinis (Monroe, Conn./Masuk) in eighth (1:02.82).
- In the 200 butterfly, the Hounds earned two top ten finishes by Ali Petrozza (North Andover, Mass./Austin Preparatory) in seventh (2:12.00) and Kurtz in ninth (2:16.28).
- The Hounds claimed two top ten spots in the 400 free relay to end the third and final day of competition. A team composed of Holmes, Guadalupi, Nicholls and Magna earned second with a time of 3:31.84 followed by a team composed of Horton, Sydney Rangulong (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), Aubrey Forman (Saunderstown, R.I./North Kingstown) and Kurtz took ninth with a time of 3:39.86.
BEHIND THE RESULTS:
- Throughout the course of the meet, multiple team records were broke, starting with Holmes who broke her own 50 free record that she held for the ten days prior to the meet. She swam the 50 free in 23.86 seconds in the lead off of the 200 free relay.
- The 200 free relay team composed of Holmes, Guadalupi, Rangulong and Magna re-broke the record they broke 10 days ago at URI by 1.1 seconds and are ranked 18th in the country.
- In the first place finish for the 50 butterfly by Brianna Buckle (Garden Grove, Calif./Mater Dei High School) set a new team record of 26.22.
- The Hounds totaled 2223 points in the meet, placing them at second behind Bryant University with 2900 points and ahead of Rowan with 1877 points.
- The Hounds are back in the pool Saturday, January 19, at home against LIU Post at 1 p.m.