- Event: NE10 Championships - Day Three
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (WPI)
- The Lead: With twelve top-eight finishes and two individual NE10 medalists, Assumption swam from second into first place on the third day of competition at the NE10 Championships. The Hounds broke three school records and one conference mark during Saturday night's swimming.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Morgan Nicholls (East London, South Africa/Clarendon) earned second in the 400 IM with a time of 4:29.24 followed by Grace Gustinis (Monroe, Conn./Masuk) in sixth (4:36.62). In the 200 freestyle, Payton Horton (Port Elizabeth, South Africa/St. Dominic's) swam to a fifth place finish in 1:55.05.
- For the 100 butterfly, the Hounds had three in the final. Allison Fitzgerald (Quincy, Mass./Fontbonne Academy) placed first with a time of 56.13, which set a new school record. Brianna Buckle (Garden Grove, Calif./Mater Dei High School) earned fourth (58.16) followed by Natalia Kaczor (Chicopee, Mass./Chicopee) in fifth (58.41).
- Abbey Holmes (Laurel, Md./Archbishop Spalding) set a new school record in the 100 breaststroke when she placed first with a time of 1:04.70. Isabelle Roberts (Nantucket, Mass. / Nantucket) swam to third (1:06.81) and Buckle earned fifth (1:07.66).
- The 200 medley relay team combined of Guadalupi, Holmes, Fitzgerald and Sydney Rangulong (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) earned first place in a time of 1:44.68, which set a new school and conference record.
BEHIND THE RESULTS:
- Assumption took first place after day three of competition with a total of 620 points followed by Southern Connecticut with 536. Bentley sits at third with 515 points and Pace stands at fourth with 367.5.
- Fitzgerald broke the school record with her first place finish in the 100 butterfly (56.13) and Holmes also broke a school record with a first place finish in the 100 breaststroke (1:04.70). The 200 medley relay team earned first with a time of 1:44.68, which set a new school and conference record.
- The Hounds are back in the pool for the final day of the NE10 Championships tomorrow, February 10, at WPI all day.