- Event: Spartan Invitational
- Location: Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex (Staten Island, N.Y.)
- The Lead: Assumption started off 2019 with a number of strong performances, including one school record in the Spartan Invitational at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Joseph Santos (Warwick, R.I. / Bishop Hendricken) placed second in the 60-meter hurdles with his time of 8.60 seconds, just shy of his own school record.
- Assumption's 4x800 relay came through with a second place finish with its time of 7:58.11, breaking the old school record of 8:01.87 set last year. William Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland) led off the relay, followed by Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin), Daniel DeLuca (Riverside, R.I / East Providence) and Nik Reygadas (Warwick, R.I. / Toll Gate), who served as the anchor. The quartet also took third in the DMR with a time of 10:36.46.
- The 4x200 relay placed tenth with its time of 1:35.86, just 0.66 seconds from matching the school record set back in 2016. Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin) opened the race, followed by Santos, Joshua Mattera (Johnston, R.I. / The Prout School) and Scott MacDuffie (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton).
- In the high jump, sophomore Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable) placed seventh with his jump of 6'2". He also took 13th in the triple jump with a distance of 42'1.25", while Samuel Baker (Bedford, Mass. / Shawsheen Tech) placed 11th with a distance of 43'0.5".
- The whole team returns to action on January 19, when the team travels to compete in the Sorlein Invitational at URI.