- Event: Southern Maine Open
- Location: USM Fieldhouse (Gorham, Maine)
- The Lead: Three new school records were set on Saturday along with five event victories and many more top-three finishes in a strong day for men's track and field at Southern Maine.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin) won the 400 meters in a school-record time of 50.67 seconds, breaking his own record let set year. Junior Cameron Behn (Amherst, N.H / Souhegan) placed third in the event while Christopher Carey (South Dennis, Mass. / Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) was fifth. Pirtle also placed second in the 200 meters with a time of 23.41 seconds while Behn was seventh in 24.11 seconds.
- Junior Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin) came through with a second school record, breaking the mark in the 800 which was set by Jeremy Alley-Tarter in 2016, with a time of 1:54.57 seconds. Classmate Daniel DeLuca (Riverside, R.I / East Providence) was third in 2:02.46 while Matt Davis (Gardner, Mass. / Oakmont Regional) took sixth in 2:07.98 seconds.
- Sophomore Joseph Santos (Warwick, R.I. / Bishop Hendricken) earned a new school record in the 55 meter hurdles with his time of 7.86 seconds while winning the event. Carey placed fifth in the event. In the 55 meters, freshman Joshua Mattera (Johnston, R.I. / The Prout School) placed sixth overall with a time of 6.90 seconds.
- Sophomore Shawn Scullion (Candiac, Que. / Heritage Regional) placed second in the 5000 meters with his time of 15:50.86 seconds while Joe Baron (Cobleskill, N.Y. / Cobleskill-Richmondville) was close behind him in third with a time of 15:57.32 seconds. Jonathan Wahl (Chepachet, R.I. / Ponaganset) was sixth in 16:13.26 while Andrew Lamb (Marshfield, Mass. / Marshfield) placed seventh in 16:17.37.
- Junior Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional) came through with a victory in the men's high jump, leaping to a height of 2.0 meters. Sophomore Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable) was sixth in the event with a height of 1.85 meters.
- Freshman Samuel Baker (Bedford, Mass. / Shawsheen Tech) placed fifth in the long jump with a distance of 6.03 meters. He followed that with a third place finish in the triple jump, leaping 12.68 meters.
- Junior William Bennett (Tewksbury, Mass. / Tewksbury Memorial) placed second in the shot put with a throw of 14.07 meters while freshman Kristopher Selanis (Athol, Mass. / Athol) was one spot behind him in third with a distance of 13.83 meters.
- The team returns to action on Feb. 1 when they take part in the NEICAAA Championships at the Reggie Lewis Center.