- Event: NE10 Championships
- Place: 12.5 points - 5th/11
- Location: Smith College (Northhampton, Mass.)
- The Lead: Assumption men's track and field sits in fifth behind a number of strong performances, following the first day of competition at the NE10 Championships hosted at Smith College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional) leads the heptathlon through the first four events held Saturday with a score of 2,822 points, more than 200 points ahead of his total at this point last year in the event. Sophomore Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable), meanwhile, is currently fourth with 2,728 points and Derek Girouard (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) is seven with 2,578 points.
- Hack won the high jump and took third in the 60 meters, while Donoghue placed in the top four of the 60 meters, high jump, long jump and the shot put. Girouard's best finish was third in the shot put. Girouard also came through with a fifth place finish in the pole vault, leaping to a height of 3.97 meters.
- Two runners earned points for Assumption in the 5000 meters, as Shawn Scullion (Candiac, Que. / Heritage Regional) took sixth with a personal best time of 15:43.12. Senior Joe Baron (Cobleskill, N.Y. / Cobleskill-Richmondville) placed eighth in the event with a time of 15:55.09.
- In qualifying action, sophomore Joseph Santos (Warwick, R.I. / Bishop Hendricken) took third in the 60 meter hurdles with a time of 8.42 seconds. The mark was a new school record, breaking his previous mark of 8.47 seconds.
- Assumption distance medley relay put shaved nearly five seconds off the previous school record to place fourth in the event with a time of 10:15.80. Freshman Nik Reygadas (Warwick, R.I. / Toll Gate) led off, followed by Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin), Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin) and William Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland).
- The team returns to Smith College on Sunday for day two of the NE10 Championships. Live stats and video can be found on www.assumptiongreyhounds.com.