- Event: NE10 Championships
- Place: 69 points - 5th/11
- Location: Smith College (Northhampton, Mass.)
- The Lead: The Assumption men's track & field team placed fifth at the NE10 Championships, tied for the best finish in program history, while amassing 69 points, the largest point total for the Hounds in school history and just four points out of fourth.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional) placed second in the heptathlon with a score of 4,659 points, just four off the school record. Sophomore Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable) finished fourth with 4,562 points while classmate Derek Girouard (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) moved up to sixth with 4,403 points. Hack's lone hep win on Saturday came in the high jump.
- Girouard also earned points in the pole vault as he went to a height of 3.97 meters, to place fifth in the event. Hack also came through with vital points in the high jump as he took second with a leap of 2.04 meters. Freshman Joseph Jepsen (Sutton, Mass. / Sutton) took seventh in the high jump with his mark of 1.79 meters.
- Sophomore Joseph Santos (Warwick, R.I. / Bishop Hendricken) didn't quite match his school record from Friday's prelims in the 60 meter hurdles, but his time of 8.48 seconds was good enough for third and just 0.4 seconds out of second.
- Junior Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin) earned a fourth place finish in the 800 meters, with his time of 1:55.59. Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin), meanwhile, secured an eighth place finish in the 400 meters with a time of 50.77 seconds.
- Senior Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass. / Auburn) finished just out of medal contention in fourth in the shot put with a distance 14.84 meters. The mark did set a new school record, breaking his own mark. Junior William Bennett (Tewksbury, Mass. / Tewksbury) was eighth in the event with a toss of 13.79 meters.
- In distance action, sophomore Jonathan Wahl (Chepachet, R.I. / Ponaganset) placed sixth in the 3000 meters with a time of 9:03.24. William Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland), meanwhile, placed ninth in the 1 mile run with his time of 4:25.50.
- Assumption's 4x800 relay came through with a third place finish. Mardo put the Hounds in first with his leg, which was followed by Nik Reygadas (Warwick, R.I. / Toll Gate), Daniel DeLuca (Riverside, R.I / East Providence), and Michaud.
- Assumption's 4x400 relay secured sixth place with its time of 3:27.84. Cameron Behn (Amherst, N.H / Souhegan) led off, followed by Kyle Belmonte (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill), Christopher Carey (South Dennis, Mass. / Dennis-Yarmouth) and Pirtle.
INSIDE THE RESULTS:
- Assumption's point total of 69 was nearly double its total of last year when the Hounds placed fifth with 43 points.
- Southern Connecticut won the NE10 Championship with 215 total points, followed by AIC with 96. Stonehill placed third with 89.5 while Merrimack had 73. New Haven was sixth with 52 points.