- Event: Coastal Caroline Invitational
- Dates: March 8-9, 2019
- Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C. (Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium)
- The Lead: The Assumption men's track & field team opened up its outdoor season at the Coastal Carolina Invitational, with a number of strong performances including a new school record in the 4x200 relay.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On Friday Assumption's 4x200 meter relay set a new school record, finishing third with their time of 1:33.12. The relay was made up of Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable), J. Scott MacDuffie (Grafton, Mass. / Grafton), Derek Girouard (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) and Everett Pirtle (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin). On Saturday, Girouard placed second in the pole vault, reaching a height of 3.96 meters, while Donoghue was ninth
- Assumption's 4x800 relay took second and consisted of William Mardo (Cumberland, R.I. / Cumberland), Nik Reygadas (Warwick, R.I. / Toll Gate), Max Michaud (Northboro, Mass. / Algonquin) and Ryan Gill (East Granby, Conn. / East Catholic). They finished in 8:03.78, just three seconds behind Coastal Carolina.
- In the 5000 meters, sophomore Andrew Lamb (Marshfield, Mass. / Marshfield) placed third overall with his time of 15:44. In the 10,000 meters, Ryan Cardozo (Westport, Mass. / Bishop Stang) took ninth by running 33:57.98. Mardo then took seventh in the 1500 meters with a time of 4:05.34.
- Senior Dillon Bruso (Auburn, Mass. / Auburn) took eighth in the discus with a distance of 39.36 meters and was ninth in the shot put with a toss of 13.03 meters. In the javelin, senior John Plisko (Moosic, Pa. / Riverside) placed second with a throw of 53.67 meters while Daniel Florendo (Scotch Plains, N.J. / Union Catholic) took fourth with his throw of 46.97 meters.
- Pirtle won the 400 meters, finishing in 48.80 seconds. Michaud also earned a victory, winning the 800 meters in a time of 1:57.46, while Reygadas placed close behind him in fourth with a time of 2:01.68.
- In the 4x100 relay, Assumption placed fifth overall with a time of 45.0 seconds. MacDuffie ran, as well as Samuel Baker (Bedford, Mass. / Shawsheen Tech), Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc Regional) and Keelan Thomas (Bronx, N.Y. / New Rochelle). Baker then came through with a sixth place finish in the triple just with a distance of 12.7 meters.
- Hack won the high jump with a height of 1.93 meters while Donoghue placed fifth with a height of 1.88 meters. The 110 meter hurdles had two finish in the top seven as Hack took fourth with a time of 15.39 meters, while Donoghue placed seventh in 16.21 seconds.
- The team returns to action on March 29 when Assumption competes at the Black and Gold Invitational at Bryant University.