- Event: Northeast Combined Events Challenge
- Dates: April 11, 2019
- Location: New Haven, Conn.
- The Lead: The Assumption men's track & field team started off strong in the decathlon on the first day of the Northeast Combined Events Challenge hosted by Southern Connecticut State University.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Kevin Hack (Uxbridge, Mass. / Nipmuc) leads the decathlon through the first five events with an impressive point total of 3572, one of 19 athletes competing on the day. Sophomores Cameron Donoghue (Yarmouth Port, Mass. / Barnstable) and Derek Girouard (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) are sixth and 14th while freshman Joseph Jepsen (Sutton, Mass. / Sutton) is 16th.
- Hack took second in the 100 meter dash in 11.26 seconds to start the day, followed by Donoghue in seventh. Girouard was 15 and Jepsen took 17th. Hack led the team with a fourth place finish in the long jump with a distance of 6.41 meters while Donoghue was close behind in sixth at 6.38 meters.
- Donoghue led the hounds with a sixth place finish in the shot put with a distance of 11.02 meters, just edging Girouard who was seventh in 11.01 meters and Hack who took eighth (10.81). Hack then won the high jump, reaching 2.01 meters and setting a new school record in the process. It broke the previous mark of 1.98 which he shared with Bill Hatten who set it in 1974. Donoghue was fourth in 1.83 meters while Girouard and Jepsen tied for seventh with a height of 1.77 meters. Hack placed fourth in the 400 meter dash (57.51), followed by Donoghue in eighth in 52.24.
- The quartet finish off the decathlon on Friday morning at SCSU.