- Score: Assumption 83, Merrimack 81
- Records: Assumption (2-1, 1-0 NE10), Merrimack (2-1, 0-1 NE10)
- Location: North Andover, Mass.
- The Lead: With an outstanding second half performance by Assumption's Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) who scored 39 points to beat a school-record, the Hounds took down Merrimack 83-81 in overtime to open their conference play 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first quarter started out slow for Assumption where they trailed by at least one the entire quarter. Merrimack went on a 4-0 run in the final 45 seconds of the quarter to take a 17-12 lead headed into the second.
- The second quarter was back and forth with neither team able to string together more than four points consecutively until the Warriors went on an 8-0 run with a 1:57 remaining, which extended their lead to seven (34-27). The Hounds answered with two of their own points only to be silenced by a Kate Mager three pointer in the final seconds of the half to give Merrimack a 37-29 lead at halftime.
- Merrimack jumped out to a quick 43-31 lead in the third, which was their biggest lead of the night. O'Donnell then scored the next ten points for the Hounds to lessen Merrimack's lead to three (49-46). She scored the final seven points for Assumption in the third quarter to make the game 57-55 headed into the fourth.
- The Hounds opened the fourth quarter with a 7-0 run to take a 62-59 lead, their largest lead of the night thus far. Assumption went on another 5-0 streak that Merrimack answered with their own 4-0 rally to lessen the Hounds' lead to two (67-65). O'Donnell made a big three-point play with 14 seconds left on the clock to give Assumption the 73-71 lead only to be answered by Merrimack's Alyssa Casey who made a layup in the final seconds to take the game to overtime (73-73).
- Assumption started out the five minute overtime with a 4-0 rally to take a 79-74 lead. Merrimack did not give up and answered with their own 5-0 run to tie the game at 81 with 19 seconds remaining. The Hounds took a timeout on a dead-ball to advance the ball to half court. O'Donnell made the game-winning layup with five seconds left to seal the 83-81 overtime victory for the Hounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Donnell set a new school record for most points scored in a game with 39 along with setting a career high. She also earned eight rebounds, four assists and one steal. Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I./Narragansett) was the second highest scorer for the Hounds with 12 followed by Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) who added eleven.
- The Hounds went 33-79 from the field for a 41.8 shooting percentage along with 9-26 from the three for 34.6%. Assumption dominated at the free throw line shooting 88.9% along with in rebounds where they earned 49, 32 of them defensive.
- Merrimack's leading scorer was Lindsay Werner with 23 while the team shot 44.4% from the field, 33.3% from three and 85.7% from the free throw line. The Warriors had 13 turnovers on the night with 14 personal fouls.
- The Hounds are home for the first time this season on Saturday, November 17, where they continue their conference play against Saint Anselm at 1:30 p.m.