- Score: Adelphi 61, Assumption 56
- Records: Adelphi (8-6, 5-2), Assumption (10-5, 5-3 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: After the Hounds trailed for the majority of the game, Assumption fought their way back to take a one-point lead in the third and tie it at 56 with 1:36 left to play until Adelphi took the 61-56 victory with free throws.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Adelphi jumped out to a quick 4-0 start following Emily Miccile and Leonie Edringer baskets. The Hounds answered with a three from the top of the key by Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline) to put the game at 4-3. The Panthers later went on an 8-0 run to increase their lead to 11 after a layup by Edringer. Assumption answered with six straight points from three different Hounds to lessen the lead to four. Edringer advanced their lead to six with 29 seconds remaining for the Panthers to lead the Hounds 20-14 at the end of the first.
- The Panthers started the second quarter just like the first with seven unanswered points to take a 13-point lead (27-14). Assumption answered with eight points themselves to get the game within seven following a layup by Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's). The Panthers led 33-26 with 24 seconds left until Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) hit a three with just 17 seconds remaining to lessen the Panthers' lead to four (29-33) headed into the half.
- Assumption came out strong in the second half with four straight points to take a 34-33 lead at the 8:12 mark of the third quarter. Adelphi answered right back and took a nine-point lead (43-34) with 4:44 left in the quarter. The Hounds clawed their way back in with a three by Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) to get within seven with a little over two minutes left. With a layup by Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I./Narragansett) Assumption kept the Panthers' lead at seven (51-44) at the end of the third quarter.
- The Hounds came out and had two quick Falayi layups followed by a Capacchione layup to lessen Adelphi's lead to five (55-50) with 7:27 left in the game. Assumption tied the game at 56 after back-to-back layups by Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) with 1:36 left to play. Niajah Morgan of Adelphi made a fast break layup to take a 58-56 lead with 47 seconds left. Forced to foul to get the ball back, Assumption fouled Miccile who made both of her free throws followed by a free throw from Edringer with three seconds left to seal a 61-56 victory for the Panthers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hawkins led the Hounds with 14 points and eight rebounds followed by a double-double by Capacchione of 10 points and 10 rebounds while Falayi added eight points and eight rebounds. Edringer led the Panthers with 23 points and nine rebounds followed by Morgan with a double-double of 18 points and 11 rebounds.
- Assumption shot 36.9 percent from the floor, 30.8 percent from three and went 0-4 in free throws. The Hounds grabbed 40 rebounds and earned 16 assists and 10 steals.
- Adelphi shot 45.5 percent from the field, 18.8 percent from three and 50.0 percent from the foul line while they earned 38 rebounds, 12 assists and five steals.
- Assumption is back on the road at New Haven on Saturday, January 12, at 1:30 p.m.