- Score: New Haven 60, Assumption 47
- Records: New Haven (12-5, 5-3 NE10), Assumption (10-6, 5-4 NE10)
- Location: West Haven, Conn.
- The Lead: Assumption fought back to take a one point lead at the half after Caterina Fonseca (Enfield, Conn./Enfield High School) hit a buzzer-beater three and kept the one point lead at the end of the third quarter until New Haven took the momentum and the 60-47 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- New Haven started the game with a 7-0 run to take a 7-1 lead at the 6:15 mark of the first quarter. Assumption answered with four straight points from Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) and Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis). The Hounds scored the final four points of the quarter with layups by Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) and Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) to get the Hounds within two (13-11) at the end of the first.
- Assumption scored the first point of the second quarter off an O'Donnell free throw to get within a point of the Chargers (13-12). The two teams traded baskets with New Haven keeping the lead until the 3:44 mark when Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) hit a three to give the Hounds the 18-17 lead. The Chargers answered within the next minute with a layup by Brie Pergola to take a 19-18 lead and extended their lead to three after a Luzdali Ocasio free throw. Assumption tied the game at 20 following a Fonseca jumper with just 1:42 left in the half. Alexandria Kerr of the Chargers made a layup with 18 seconds on the clock to give New Haven a 22-20 lead. Fonseca answered for the Hounds with a buzzer-beater three to give Assumption the one point lead (23-22) headed into halftime.
- The Hounds continued their momentum into the third quarter and opened with a 7-0 run to take a 30-22 lead with 7:21 left to play in the third. The Chargers took some of the momentum with a 5-0 rally of their own to get the game within four (33-29) before Falayi hit a jump shot to extend the Hounds' lead back to six (35-29). Following a Camryn DeBose three with 11 seconds on the clock, New Haven got the game within one (40-39) headed into the fourth quarter.
- New Haven continued their scoring into the fourth with a quick five points, which all came from DeBose and gave the Chargers a 44-40 lead. The Chargers went on another 5-0 run with just 1:05 remaining and took a 52-44 lead. O'Donnell made two free throws for the Hounds to lessen the lead to six (52-46) with 55 seconds left to play. Assumption was then forced to foul for possession which led to a Chargers' 6-0 run to end the game where the Hounds fell 60-47.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O'Donnell led the Hounds with 15 points and six rebounds followed by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) with seven points and three rebounds and Fonseca with seven points. Hawkins also pulled down six rebounds and contributed six points in the game.
- Kerr led the Chargers with 29 points, 15 rebounds and four steals followed by Debose with 21 points, nine rebounds and five steals. Kim Talley contributed eight rebounds while Pergola scored seven points.
- Assumption shot 32.1 percent from the floor, 23. 5 percent from three and 69.2 percent from the foul line while earning 29 rebounds, 12 assists and nine steals. New Haven shot 33.3 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from three and 90.5 percent from the foul line while they earned 43 rebounds, 10 assists and 11 steals.
- The Hounds play again next Saturday, January 19, at Pace at 1:30 p.m.