- Score: Pace 59, Assumption 45
- Records: Pace (8-10, 5-5 NE10), Assumption (10-7, 5-5 NE10)
- Location: Pleasantville, N.Y. (Goldstein Fitness Center)
- The Lead: Despite the Hounds strong effort, they were unable to match the three-point shooting of the Setters and fell 59-45.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pace jumped out to a quick 8-2 lead just under two minutes into play. The Hounds put together a 3-0 run to get within three, only for the Setters to score five more unanswered points and took an eight point lead with 6:17 left to play in the first. Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) made a layup to jumpstart some scoring for the Hounds, which got them within four (13-9) of the Setters with 3:30 remaining. Pace ended the quarter with an 8-0 run to take a 21-9 lead.
- Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) started the second quarter for the Hounds with a three-pointer just four seconds into play. Pace's Alexandra Monteleone answered just about 30 seconds later to take back the Setters' 12-point lead. Capacchione made a jumper followed by Caterina Fonseca (Enfield, Conn./Enfield High School) to get the Hounds within eight (24-16), which forced the Setters to take a timeout with 8:20 left in the half. After the timeout, the Setters scored ten unanswered points to take a 34-16 lead at the 4:57 mark. The run was ended by a Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md./Glen Burnie) layup, who later made a layup in the final seconds of the half to put the Hounds within 11 (38-27) at the buzzer.
- Pace started the third quarter with seven straight points to take a 45-27 lead with 6:10 left to play in the quarter. Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) ended the spree with two layups to make the score 45-31. With 17 seconds left in the quarter, Pace had a 50-32 lead. Fonseca made a jump shot with just eight seconds left to get the Hounds within 16 headed into the final quarter of the game.
- Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) started the scoring for Assumption in the fourth with a layup just 32 seconds in. Pace then scored five unanswered points to extend their lead to 19 (55-36) with 7:51 left to play. Capacchione made a three followed by jumpers from Fonseca and Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) to put the Hounds within 15 (58-43) with 2:27 left in the game. Pace scored one more point in the final minutes to earn the 59-45 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione and O'Donnell led the Hounds in points with eight apiece followed by Falayi with seven and both Fonseca and Hawkins with six. Falayi led in rebounds with nine and Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass./North Middlesex Regional) led with five assists.
- Monteleone led for the Setters with 18 points and seven rebounds followed by Jackie Dellisanti with 12 points and eight rebounds. Brianna Wong scored 11 points while Lauren Hackett earned four assists and four steals.
- The Hounds shot 32.8 percent from the floor, 20.0 percent from three and 40.0 percent from the foul line along with earning 43 rebounds, 14 assists and five blocks. The Setters shot 37.7 percent from the field, 42.9 percent from three and 71.4 percent from the foul line while securing 36 rebounds, 14 assists, nine steals and three blocks.
- The Hounds are back on the road Wednesday, January 23, at American International at 5:30 p.m.