- Score: Saint Rose 85, Assumption 77
- Record: Saint Rose (11-8, 4-8 NE10), Assumption (10-9, 5-7 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Saint Rose scored 12 straight points between the end of the second quarter and the beginning of the third to grab a 15-point lead, and Assumption's comeback attempt over the final four minutes of the contest was too little too late as the Hounds fell 85-77 on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Rose opened the game on a 9-2 run before Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass. / St. Mary's) put home a layup at 6:54 to end the run. The Golden Knights connected on a triple midway through the period for a 12-4 lead, but seven straight from the Hounds cut the deficit to just one on a triple by Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin). Saint Rose led 24-18 with 50 seconds left, before four straight by Assumption cut it to 24-22 at the end of the first.
- The teams traded baskets over the first five minutes of the period, with a jumper by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J. / Washington Township) making it a 36-31 contest in favor of Saint Rose at 4:40. The Hounds pulled within one, 38-37, on a pair of free throws by Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I. / Narragansett) with 2:12 left. Assumption wasn't able to draw even and the team gave up a basket in the final second of the half to trail 46-41 at the half.
- The Golden Knights scored the first ten points of the second half, before Caterina Fonseca (Enfield, Conn. / Enfield) ended the run at 7:32 to trail 56-43. That jumpstarted an 8-2 run by the Hounds to close the gap to 58-49 on a pair of free throws by Fonseca with 4:39 left. Assumption pulled within eight but a late run by Saint Rose gave the visitors a 64-53 at the end of the period.
- In the fourth, the Golden Knights pushed their lead to 16 points early, before a 6-0 run by the Hounds cut it to 73-63 on a pair of Falayi free throws with 3:13 left. Saint Rose answered, but five straight by Assumption made it a seven-point game with 1:06 remaining. Capacchione then cut it to 77-71 on a three with 47 seconds left. The Hounds weren't able to get any closer than five over the final minute as they fell by eight points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 40.3 percent for the contest and was 5 of 17 from downtown. Saint Rose, meanwhile was 7-for-19 from beyond the arc and made 52.6 percent of its field goal attempts. The Hounds went 22-for-32 from the charity stripe while outrebounding the Golden Knights 83-32.
- Cramb led the team with 19 points, six rebounds and two assists, while Capacchione posted 18 points, five rebounds and four dimes. Falayi had a solid game with ten points, six rebounds and four steals. Fonseca scored a career-high eight points with four assists and two rebounds in 32 minutes off the bench.
- Ashley Vanderwall led Saint Rose with 23 points, three assists and two rebounds while Zoe McDonald put up a double-double of 10 points and 11 rebounds with two blocked shots.
- Assumption returns to action on Tuesday when the team hosts Southern Connecticut State at 5:30 p.m.