- Score: Le Moyne 64, Assumption 47
- Records: Le Moyne (18-2, 12-2), Assumption (11-10, 6-8 NE10)
- Location: Syracuse, N.Y. (Ted Grant Court)
- The Lead: Le Moyne took control early and despite Assumption's efforts to get within three, the Hounds could not catch up and the Dolphins took the 64-47 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) scored the first points of the game to give Assumption an early 2-0 lead just 12 seconds into the game. Le Moyne answered with eight straight points to take a 10-4 lead with just 6:24 left in the first quarter. Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) scored three unanswered points for the Hounds to get within three (14-11) with just over two minutes remaining in the quarter. The Dolphins ended the quarter with a 4-0 run to take a 20-12 lead into the second quarter.
- Le Moyne started the second with eight unanswered points to extend their lead to 13 (28-15) with just 4:36 left in the half. Rallied by O'Donnell the Hounds scored seven straight to get within eight (28-20) with just under a minute to play. Le Moyne scored back-to-back threes to take a 34-20 lead into halftime.
- The first two minutes of the third quarter were scoreless as both teams ramped up their defense until Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) earned a free throw to make the score 34-21. This kick started a 5-0 run for the Hounds to get them within nine with 5:08 to play in the quarter. Both teams traded baskets for the remainder of the quarter with neither team scoring more than four points consecutively. Katherin Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) hit a buzzer-beater three for the Hounds to make the score 55-39 headed into the final ten minutes.
- Other than a free throw by Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's), there were no points scored until the 6:58 mark when Le Moyne made a free throw to maintain their 16-point lead (56-40). Following four straight points by the Dolphins, the Hounds answered with five unanswered points themselves to get within 13 (60-47) with 1:49 left to play. Le Moyne scored the final four points of the game to take the 64-47 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was led by O'Donnell with 21 points and eight rebounds followed by Golden and Falayi who each scored six. Le Moyne was led by McKayla Roberts with 26 points followed by Liz Millea with 17 points and Corinne Poitevien with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- The Hounds shot 33.3 percent from the floor, 21.4 percent from three and 57.1 percent from the free throw line. Assumption earned 24 rebounds, 10 assists, four steals and three blocks.
- The Dolphins shot 48.9 percent from the field, 44.4 percent from three and 71.4 percent from the foul line. Le Moyne earned 37 rebounds, 10 assists, five steals and three blocks.
- The Hounds are back home Wednesday, January 6, against Merrimack at 5:30 p.m.