- Score: Assumption 65, Saint Anselm 64
- Records: Assumption (12-12, 7-10 NE10), Saint Anselm (16-6, 11-6 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Stoutenburgh Gymnasium)
- The Lead: After taking an early lead in the first quarter and being down six at half, Assumption bounced back to send the game to overtime on a last second basket only to repeat themselves to win the game 65-64.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption started the game with a 7-0 run to take a five-point lead (9-4) with 6:53 on the clock. Following two Saint Anselm free throws, Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) drained a three to take a 12-6 lead at the 6:11 mark. After a little over two minutes with no scoring on either side, the Hawks sparked some momentum with a free throw that turned into nine unanswered points, which gave Saint Anselm a 15-12 lead with only 1:10 in the quarter. Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass./North Middlesex Regional) muscled in a layup for the Hounds and then committed a foul to give the Hawks two more points and a 17-14 headed into the second quarter.
- The Hawks extended their lead to six (22-16) early in the second quarter before both teams started trading baskets. Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) started a scoring streak with a three followed by a Caterina Fonseca (Enfield, Conn./Enfield High School) jump shot that got the Hounds within three (26-23) with just over four minutes to go in the half. Five more straight points for Saint Anselm gave them a 31-23 lead with a 1:40 on the clock before Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) made a jump shot just ten seconds later. The half ended with the Hawks leading 31-25.
- Reen scored the first points of the second half with a three that was answered by Peyton Steinman of Saint Anselm. 17 seconds after Steinman's three, Reen drained another one to get the Hounds back within three (34-31). At the 7:03 mark, Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) sparked a scoring spree for Assumption that turned into a 7-0 run, which gave the Hounds a 38-36 lead with 4:19 in the quarter. The Hawks didn't stay down for long and answered with a three to take a one-point lead (39-38) followed by a timeout. Cramb came out and swished a free throw to tie the game at 39 with 3:23 left to play. Another point was not scored for either team until there was 45 seconds on the clock and Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) made two foul shots to give Assumption the 41-39 lead headed into the final 10 minutes of the game.
- Michaela Martin of the Hawks made a layup to start the scoring in the fourth and to tie the game at 41. The game was tied two more times, at 43 and 45, before Steinman made a three for Saint Anselm to give them the 48-47 lead with 3:16 left to play. The Hawks scored another two points to give them a three-point lead (50-47). Cramb answered for Assumption with a three to tie the game at 50 apiece with just 1:57 on the clock. Capacchione gave the Hounds the lead with two free throws just 50 seconds later only to have the game tied at 52 by the Hawks with 37 seconds left to play. Forced the foul, the Hounds sent Steinman to the line where she drained two free throw to give Saint Anselm the 54-52 lead with one second to play. Assumption took a timeout to advance the ball to half court, where the Hounds drew up an inbounds play where the ball was lobbed in to O'Donnell on the right side of the basket where she threw up a layup with under a second to go and made it to send the game to overtime tied at 54 each.
- Overtime started with a Capacchione three followed by a slew of free throws for both sides. Ashley Briggs made a jump shot for the Hawks right before Shannon Ryan made two free throws to give Saint Anselm the 63-59 lead with only 1:10 left to play in overtime. Cramb made a jump shot at the other end with 54 seconds on the clock to get the Hounds within one (63-62), which forced Saint Anselm to take a timeout. The Hawks get a shot clock violation giving the Hounds the ball. They went to the other end and missed a layup forcing them to foul again. The Hounds sent Ryan to the line who made one of two, which made the game 64-62 with ten seconds to play. Assumption scrambled to get the ball over half court where they found Capacchione on the three wide open where she drained it with just one second to go that won the game for Assumption 65-64.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption had four players score double-digits with Reen leading with 16 points and eight rebounds. Cramb followed with 14 points, then O'Donnell with 13 points and five rebounds and finished by Capacchione with the game-winning basket and 12 points.
- Saint Anselm was led by Steinman with 20 points and eight rebounds while Ryan earned a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds, 10 of them being defensive. Sara Messler contributed 12 points on the night.
- The Hounds shot 37.7 percent from the floor, 45.0 percent from beyond the arc and 76.9 percent from the foul line while adding 37 rebounds, 12 assists and seven steals. The Hawks shot 33.9 percent from the field, 42.1 percent from three and 87.5 percent from the free throw line and contributed 45 rebounds, 16 assists and eight steals on the night.
- The Hounds are on the road again Saturday, February 16 at Saint Michael's at 1:30 p.m.