- Score: Saint Michael's 77, Assumption 69
- Records: Saint Michael's (11-12, 7-11 NE10), Assumption (12-13, 7-11 NE10)
- Location: Colchester, Vt. (Ross Sports Center)
- The Lead: Assumption came back from being down initially in the first quarter and held their lead through the final minutes of the fourth quarter where the Hounds lost steam and Saint Michael's took the 77-69 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Michael's started with a quick 5-2 lead at the 7:18 mark and continued for a 6-0 run to extend their lead to 12-7 just before the halfway point of the quarter. Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass./Ursuline Academy) ended the Purple Knights scoring streak with a layup followed by two free throws to get the game within one (12-11). The Hounds ended the first quarter with 10 unanswered points that ended with a three by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) in the final seconds to put Assumption up 21-15 headed into the second quarter.
- The Purple Knights scored the first points of the second quarter off two free throws. For the next two minutes, both teams traded baskets until Saint Michael's scored five straight points to get within three (27-24) with 5:59 left in the half. They would later get within two after a pair of free throws by Emily Ferreri before Brittani LeBlanc (Townsend, Mass./North Middlesex Regional) and Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H./Bishop Guertin) hit back-to-back threes to gain an eight-point lead (36-28). Saint Michael's made a run toward the end of the half and outscored the Hounds 5-2, but trailed 38-33.
- Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) started the scoring for the Hounds in the second half with a three just 55 seconds into play. Until about the six-minute mark, neither team could string more than three points together when the Hounds scored five straight with a Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) layup and another LeBlanc three. Both teams went basket-for-basket for the remainder of the quarter where the Hounds led 57-51.
- Saint Michael's started the fourth quarter with five unanswered points to get within three (59-56) with just 8:48 left to play. The Hounds kept a minimum of a three-point lead until 4:29 when the Purple Knights got within one (66-65) after two free throws by Brianna Purcell. Two quick jumpers for both teams extended the score to 68-67 in favor of Assumption still. At the 2:02 mark, an Assumption foul allowed Saint Michael's the opportunity to take the lead. Alyssa Breunig of the Purple Knights made both to give them their first lead of the game since the first quarter (69-68). Saint Michael's scored the next four points to advance their lead to five (73-68) before Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) went one-for-one at the line to give the Hounds just a four-point deficit (73-69). The Purple Knights ended the game going four-for-four from the foul line to win the game 77-69.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption was led by a double-double from O'Donnell with 18 points and 12 rebounds followed by Cramb with 11 points and Abby McKanna (Narragansett, R.I./Narragansett) with eight. Falayi also tallied 12 rebounds and six points.
- The Purple Knights were led by three players who all scored 15 points, Purcell, Ferreri and Nicole Anderson while Taylor Miller earned 12 points and led the team with seven rebounds.
- The Hounds shot 40.6 percent from the floor, 28.6 percent from three and 60.0 percent from the foul line while they totaled 43 rebounds, 16 assists and five steals. Saint Michael's shot 35.1 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from beyond the arc and 75.0 percent from the free throw line and earned 37 rebounds, 11 assists and 14 steals.
- Assumption is back on their home court Wednesday, February 20, for their Play4Kay game against Franklin Pierce at 5:30 p.m.