- Score: Assumption 81, Concordia 41
- Records: Assumption (1-0), Concordia (0-1)
- Location: Lakewood, N.J. (Wellness Center)
- The Lead: The Hounds capture a 40-point victory in their season opener on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first basket wasn't scored until just under eight minutes into play when Concordia made a jump shot for a 2-0 lead. Both teams traded baskets and with four made free throws, Concordia led 9-7 with just over three minutes left to play in the first quarter. Assumption answered with five-straight points to take an 11-9 lead with 1:25 left in the quarter. Concordia answered with two more free throws to tie it up at eleven apiece before senior Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) stepped up to the foul line and swished two for a 13-11 lead after one.
- Assumption started the second quarter with a 15-point run to take a 28-11 lead before Concordia was able to answer at the 4:40 mark. The Hounds scored six more to extend their lead to 21 (34-13). Concordia answered with a layup only to have the basket followed up by four Assumption points (38-15). With three free throws to end the half, Assumption led Concordia by 20 (39-19) after the first twenty minutes of play.
- Concordia came out in the third quarter and rallied for four-points to be down 18 (43-25) only for Assumption to earn four-straight themselves and take a 47-25 lead with 7:26 to go in the quarter. The two teams traded baskets before the Hounds could put four more together for a 53-28 lead. Concordia took a timeout and came out to hit a three (53-31) before the Hounds strung together eight-points for a 60-31 lead. Concordia ended the quarter with two free throws followed by an Assumption layup for the Hounds to have a 62-33 lead headed into the final ten minutes of play.
- Assumption scored the first six-points of the fourth quarter, led by Anna Shaughnessy (Attleboro Falls, Mass./Bishop Feehan), to extend their lead to 35 (68-33). The Hounds later scored nine more in a row for a 77-35 lead before Concordia hit a three and a free throw for four-straight points themselves. The Hounds ended the night with two free throws from freshman Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams) for an 81-41 victory on opening night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Spain makes her career debut to lead the Hounds with 19 points and six rebounds while Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) notched 15 points while Shaughnessy recorded 12 points and six rebounds and Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) earned 11 points and 13 rebounds for a double-double while adding three blocks.
- Assumption shot 42.2 percent from the floor, 16.7 percent from three and went 25-38 in free throws. The Hounds grabbed 61 rebounds and earned 14 assists, nine steals and seven blocks.
- Concordia shot 17.5 percent from the field, 23.5 percent from three and 71.4 percent from the foul line while they earned 34 rebounds, six assists and 11 steals.
- Assumption is back at the Georgian Court Tip-Off Tournament for the second day tomorrow, November 10, for a 2 p.m. game against Georgian Court.