- Score: Assumption 73, Georgian Court 67
- Records: Assumption (2-0), Georgian Court (1-1)
- Location: Lakewood, N.J. (Wellness Center)
- The Lead: Led by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) with a career-high 26 points Assumption started their season 2-0 with a 73-67 win over Georgian Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Lions scored the first nine points of the game before Assumption could get their feet under them when Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) made a layup. Both teams traded baskets until the Hounds gained momentum and went on a 6-0 run at the end of the first quarter to lessen the Lions' lead to four (18-14).
- Assumption kept their momentum scoring the first three points of the second quarter to get within one (18-17). Spearheaded by Capacchione, the Hounds rallied for 13 unanswered points to take a ten-point led with 1:35 left in the first half. The Lions answered back with five-straight points of their own, all free throws, to get within five at the half (32-27).
- In the third, both teams traded baskets until Assumption scored six unanswered to take an 11-point lead (42-31) with 6:30 to go in the quarter to force Georgian Court to take a timeout. The Lions came out of the timeout and scored the next eight points of the game to lessen the Hounds' lead to three (42-39) with 4:17 left in the third quarter. The two teams went back-and-forth the remaining four minutes in the quarter with the Hounds having a 53-49 advantage headed into the last ten minutes of play.
- The Hounds started the fourth quarter win an 8-0 run to take a 63-51 lead with 4:38 left to play. Georgian Court answered a few minutes later with six-straight points themselves to get within five with 1:15 left to play. The scoring was back-and-forth the remaining minute with Capacchione sealing the win for the Hounds with two free throws to earn the 73-67 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione led the Hounds with 26 points and was 11-for-11 from the free throw line while Falayi recorded a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds.
- Assumption shot 36.5 percent from the floor, 16.7 percent from three and went 26-36 in free throws. The Hounds grabbed 38 rebounds and earned 10 assists, eight steals and four blocks.
- Georgian Court shot 36.7 percent from the field, 21.1 percent from three and 82.6 percent from the foul line while they earned 42 rebounds, 10 assists and six steals.
- Assumption is back on the road the Molloy College Conference Challenge with the first game on Saturday, November 16, at 2 p.m. against Philadelphia Sciences.