- Score: USciences 49, Assumption 43
- Records: USciences (4-0), Assumption (2-1)
- Location: Molloy College Conference Challenge
- The Lead: In a defensive battle, Assumption falls 49-43 to USciences at the first day of the Molloy College Conference Challenge.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- USciences started the game with an eight-point run before the Hounds were able to get on the board. The two teams traded baskets before the Devils scored five more unanswered points to extend their lead to 11 with just over two minutes left in the first quarter. The Hounds ended the first quarter strong with five straight points themselves to get within six (15-9) heading into the second quarter.
- Assumption scored the first five points of the second quarter to get within one (15-14) of the Devils. USciences answered the Hounds' run with a three-pointer before Assumption went on a five-point run to take a 19-18 lead with just 3:25 left in the half. USciences made a pair of free throws to take back the lead (20-19) with a little over a minute left before freshman Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams) of Assumption made a buzzer-beater layup to send the Hounds into halftime with a one-point lead (21-20).
- To start the third quarter, USciences went on a 7-0 run to take back the lead (27-21) at the 6:24 mark of the quarter. Spain made it to the free-throw line to get the Hounds within four (27-23). The Devils later strung together five-straight points to take a 34-25 lead with 3:34 left in the third. Assumption fought back with the last five-points, four of which were scored by Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's), of the quarter to lessen the Devils lead to three (34-31) heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- The Hounds opened the fourth quarter with a three-pointer by Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) to tie the game at 34. The Devils took back the lead by scoring four unanswered points to lead Assumption 38-35 with 5:45 left in the game. Spain answered for the Hounds with a three-pointer just 12 seconds later to tie the game for a second time at 38-38. The Devils scored the next four points of the game to take a 42-38 lead with 4:34 remaining before the Hounds made a layup to get back within two (42-40). After USciences made two free-throws, Spain struck again with a three-pointer to get Assumption within one (44-43) with just 25 seconds left to play. Assumption fouled to try and gain possession, but the Devils made both to take a three-point lead (46-43) with 22 seconds left. The Devils made three of their last four free throws to defeat the Hounds 49-43 on the road.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Spain led the Hounds with 15 points, eight rebounds and two assists while Ja'Lyn Armstrong (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) added ten points and three rebounds and Falayi recorded eight points and eight rebounds. Reen led with five assists.
- The Hounds shot 34.9 percent from the floor 19.0 percent from beyond the arc and 64.3 percent from the free throw line while grabbing 28 rebounds, ten assists and five steals.
- The Devils shot 31.1 percent from the floor, 31.6 percent from three and 93.8 percent from the foul line while adding 32 rebounds, 11 assists and five steals throughout the game.
- Assumption is back on the road for the second day of the Molloy College Conference Challenge where the Hounds face-off against the Lions at 2 p.m. on Sunday, November 17.