- Score: Assumption 61, Southern N.H. 51
- Records: Assumption (3-2, 1-0 NE10), Southern N.H. (4-2, 1-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Led by Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) with 16 points the Hounds took down Southern N.H. by ten points to start their season off 1-0 in the Northeast-10 Conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds started the first quarter with four-straight points before the Penmen answered with a three to get within one. Assumption answered with a 6-0 run with three different players scoring to take a six-point lead (12-6) with 2:46 left to play in the first quarter. Southern N.H. strung together four points themselves to get back within two before Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) sunk a pair of free throws followed by a three from Capacchione for the Hounds to take a 17-10 lead headed into the second quarter.
- The second quarter started with the two teams trading baskets before the Penmen went on a 5-0 run to get within five (25-19) about halfway through the quarter. Assumption answered right back with four-straight points themselves all by Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams). The second quarter ended the way it started with back-and-forth scoring with the Hounds taking a 30-26 lead into halftime.
- Assumption kept their momentum into the third quarter with scoring the first four points of the second half to extend their lead to eight (34-26). The Penmen went on a 5-0 run to get within two (36-34) right before Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus High School) made a three to extend the Hounds' lead back to five (39-34). Southern N.H. ended the quarter with a 4-0 run and Assumption's Cappachione drained a three with 52 seconds left in the quarter to earn the Hounds a five-point lead (46-41) heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- The fourth quarter started as a battle with the two teams trading baskets with Assumption being the first team to score more than one in a row for a 4-0 run led by Ja'Lyn Armstong (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame). The Penmen answered with three-points themselves to get back within five (56-51) with 1:57 left to play before Capacchione sunk a jump shot to get the Hounds back to a seven-point lead. Assumption ended the game with two free throws from Reen to seal the 10-point win over Southern N.H. to start their conference play off 1-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Cappachione led the Hounds with 16 points and seven rebounds while Spain recorded 14 points and six rebounds. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) earned eight points and eight rebounds in the win while Reen added four points, seven rebounds and five assists.
- The Hounds shot 41.1 percent from the floor, 36.4 percent from three and 56.3 percent from the foul line while earning 40 rebounds, 16 assists, and nine steals.
- Southern N.H. ended the game shooting 38.8 percent from the floor, 25.0 percent from beyond the arc, 87.5 percent from three while recording 28 rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
- Assumption is back on the road on Tuesday, November 26, at Franklin Pierce for their second conference game of the season.