- Score: Stonehill 63, Assumption 51
- Records: Stonehill (5-2, 2-1 NE10), Assumption (4-3, 2-1 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: In a back-and-forth battle, the Hounds were forced to foul for possession at the end and came up short 63-51 for their first conference loss of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Stonehill started the game strong with a 5-0 run right out of the gate before Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams) struck for the Hounds to spark six more points for Assumption to take an 8-5 lead with 5:38 left in the first quarter. The Skyhawks answered with their own 4-0 streak to take the lead back (9-8) with 3:03 on the clock. Stonehill ended the quarter with five consecutive points to extend their lead to four (14-10).
- Stonehill scored the first six-points of the second quarter to take a 20-10 lead. Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) answered just 15 seconds later for the Hounds with a three followed by a free throw from Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) to put Assumption within six (20-14) with 7:11 left in the half. The Hounds then strung together a 6-0 run to get within two (22-20) with 3:49 on the clock. The two teams traded baskets the remainder of the half with Assumption ending with a layup from Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) with just five seconds left to put the Hounds within four (27-23) at the half.
- Reen kept her momentum to score the first points of the second half before Stonehill scored five-straight to extend their lead to 32-25. Assumption answered with a 4-0 run themselves to lessen the Skyhawks lead to three (32-29) with just 4:54 left in the third quarter. The two teams went back-and-forth until about 50 seconds left when Stonehill put together a 4-0 run to end the third quarter with a 42-33 lead.
- The back-and-forth action continued for the beginning of the fourth quarter until the Skyhawks went on a 7-0 run to take the largest lead of the game at 14 (49-35). The Hounds strung together four-straight points to get back within eight (49-41) with just 4:11 left to play. Stonehill went back to a ten-point lead (51-41) after a pair of free throws before Reen and Spain paired up for four points to put the score at 51-45 with 3:06 remaining. Stonehill went on a 7-0 run for a 58-45 lead with just 1:06 on the clock. It came down to free throws in the remaining minute with Stonehill coming out on top with the 63-51 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ja'Lyn Armstrong (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) led the Hounds with 10 points while Capacchione contributed nine points, 13 rebounds, one steal, one assist and one block. Reen scored eight points with three assists and three rebounds while Spain put in seven points with three rebounds and two steals.
- The Hounds shot 29.3 percent from the floor, 7.1 percent from three and 64.0 percent from the foul line in the lost while adding 41 rebounds, eight assists and seven steals.
- Stonehill shot 38.5 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from beyond the arc and 75.0 percent from the free throw line while tallying 38 rebounds, 16 assists and nine steals.
- The Hounds are back home on Wednesday, December 4, against Bentley at 5:30 p.m.